Sunday, September 8, 2013

First 'official' race of my season

Kentucky State Games 400m race: 57.22 


Not too bad for a first official electronic time, especially considering conditions.   It was hot: 90º, and the race was in the middle of the afternoon at 4:30 pm - the hottest part of the day.   The track sucked, a thin black tartan track over blacktop.  I was in lane 5, with just one person outside me, so I ran essentially alone.  Also, I was exceptionally heavy for a race ... 143 lbs when I left, 142 when I returned.

When lining up for the race, the field judge hastily seeded our group of 12 by asking: "how many can run under 60?"   Me and 5 other guys raised their hands.   I thought ...'holy shit, didn't expect this much competition.'  Turns out, they didn't produce.  I won the race by at least 50m and the second place guy was about 6 or 7 seconds behind me.

UPDATE:  Just looked at the results, second place in my heat was 10.02 seconds behind me, I think I won by 70m or so.  Kinda ridiculous.  However, the next heat was won by a 60 yr old that ran 60.88, very respectable time

It felt hard, I was thinking coming up the home stretch... 'not today'.   I suffered.   So, it went about as well as I expected.  OK, but not great.   Better than my first time out during indoors, about a half second slower than my very first 400m race at Vandy in '11.  

In order to keep my workout schedule I hope to put in a hard one tomorrow and hopefully, I'll still be able to do a workout on Wed. despite my hand surgery Tues.

Photo:  at the 200m mark in the race ... running alone.


Yes, there were 5 other guys in this race.

No comments:

Post a Comment