Monday, June 16, 2014

Competition this weekend?

TN State Senior Games, (and I hate even referring to them as "Senior",) have never produced any competition in my state.   However, a new initiative will allow first time competitors enter without qualifying district races.   So, as a 54 yr old (per Sr. Games rules), I may get some competition from first timers, some guys are only 49 (but considered 50 as their birthday may be later in the year).  There is a big turnout this year, enough to have as many as 3 heats in my age group of 100m and 200m events.   One M75 competitor has been boasting to me for a while now that his 50 yr old son will enter this year and smoke me.   I won't mention the guy's name, but he's 4 yrs my junior and is a tall Marine Corps officer.   OK.... bring him on, let's see what he's got.

Sore after Saturday's triple.  I felt a serious amount of fatigue on Sunday.  Not the best condition for a peak performance this weekend since my training this week will be hampered.  But, I certainly will be motivated to do well and the meet schedule is good to afford plenty of recovery in between events.

Despite my weekend visit to the Pie and ice cream kitchen, I'm still 143.5 lbs this morning and ready to get into the pool tonight for a light workout.

It looks like there will be a series of Sr. District meets in Aug - Sept.   So, I could put together a late summer season like I did last year.   Only  the KY State Games on 9/7 will be FAT, all the others, hand timed.   I do expect to take 2 weeks+ off from running completely in early July.  I want to start running the 2.8 mile run up the mountain, do some weights, and some swimming this summer.  Also, work on my flexibility.   I was way more flexible in high school.


1 comment:

  1. Greater flexibility, fewer strains and faster 100m and 200m times.

    ReplyDelete