Monday, December 19, 2011

Endurance intervals - getting lighter


I really didn't feel like running today.

After my first hard sprinting day on Sat., I did a fairly tough weight workout and some leaps. My ass was sore. Couple that with 4-5 hrs of dragging heavy tarps of wet leaves on my 'day off' on Sunday at Iska's place. I was sore today and my back still hurt from the motocross cycle trip a week ago. I took a 2 hr nap and ... enough complaining.... I hit the track at noon. It was in the upper 50's and sunny. Almost felt too warm.

400m warmup, stretches

5 x 800 (3 min rest in between) - 2:47, 2:51, 2:57, 3:00, 3:03

400m - 69

It was a little unnerving to see Noah Akwu show up at the track near the end of my workout. He's from Nigeria on a track scholarship - the fastest 400m runner in the Sunbelt conference (45.95) - he was 6th in the Indoor NCAA Finals - an All-American. It was nice to meet him and chat. His workout today was 3 x 600 and 3 x 300. He also gave me a heads up on how to run the 400m at the Murphy Center 300m track. I'm glad I was outta there before he started.

Also, I was looking at Kevin Forde's blog - he's an M45 10,000m National Champion ... also runs a 16 something 5k and a 2:06 800m. I was humbled by his 800m interval workout. He runs 8 x 800 averaging about 2:35. Geeez!

The big news is my weight. 140.4 after workout. Lightest since July.

After doing 4-5 hours of yard work we had to hustle to get to a Christmas Caroling event and didn't have time for dinner... so I went the whole day without eating and faced huge plates of chocolate chip cookies at this Xmas party ... I ate just one. That's an acheivement.


1 comment: