Thursday, July 23, 2020

starts and stretches

Mid 70ºs and humid after a rain shower, track was a little wet but fair skies.  Went to swim today but got caught in a driving rain storm and left.  Didn't want to do much today.  Felt sluggish at first but better after warmups.  Tried out my meet spikes a little, still had remnants of red track in the spikes from the last race I ran in Spain.

Hoka trainers on
 
stretches 
3 x 100m warmup 
stretches, drills, band work, massage 
100m stride 
Puma spikes on 
2 x block starts 
3 x 100m from blocks from lane 2 on the turn - 13.20, 13.09, 13.17 
2 x block starts 

The 100s on the turn were right on 400m race pace.  Probably mid 26 pace, perhaps a tad too hot for my level of fitness, but somewhere near where I should be.  If I run 26 high, I need to run 31 or less for my last 200m.  I tried both spike pairs, one that I have configured for 100/200m, and the ones I have configured for 400m.  I liked the way the 200m spikes felt on the turn, but the 400m spikes were more comfortable.  Times were similar.  Probably wouldn't make much difference.

This meet is going to be a challenge because everyone I'm racing will be way ahead, a bunch of 20-something yr olds and me, a 60 yr old.   The way the seeding is going I'll probably get lane 2 or 7.   The meet is a collection of mostly college guys, post grad elites, and a few masters.  I'm the only masters running the 400m.  Shakima Wimbly, US women's National Champion is entered - one of the few women in the world capable of running under 50.  Olympians and international elites are showing up, coming from everywhere because it's the only meet series going on right now in the US.   It should be a cool meet.  Happy to be racing again.

140.8 after workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment