Saturday, July 4, 2020

New meet series, change of plans

I've decided to wait a little longer before my first race.  Probably another 3 weeks.  The AL meet next weekend would not be ideal because of the morning schedule and because I've lost a little time due to a slight ham strain - which is pretty much gone now.  Today will be my third workout going on an every third day schedule.

Everything looks good about the RSS/American Track League series: the schedule, number of meets, venues, and covid-19 precautions.  They also state: USATF Sanctioned

- Schedule - seems that they are running elite, masters, and open in the evening beginning at 6 PM, which is perfect for me since it is 2 hrs away and I usually run in the evening.
- Meets - They say they plan to have one every weekend beginning July 11, a total of 9,  although they have just 3 registrations open on Coacho, July 11, 25, and Aug 1.  (Sometime these meet series get too ambitious and end up cancelling meets due to lack of attendance).  I hope this series doesn't fold.
- Venue - Life University in Marrietta, GA.  Track is brand new, IAAF proportions, just resurfaced red track, north and away from the city of Atlanta in an area surrounded by woods.
- Covid-19 precautions - only running events in lanes.  100, 200, 400, 800 w/ 4 turn stagger.  First time I've ever heard of an 800 run in lanes.  All competitors and spectators wear masks except when racing.  Since there are a reduced number of events, the meets should be short, less waiting.  

Their list of competitors for next weekend is small, mostly kids, just a couple masters, but a couple of elites as well.  They don't seem to be super organized, as one release said they're going to do nine meets but their poster (both below) just has 3 meets listed.   I'm only going to assume the 3 meets. 

Although I could probably be ready to run by the 18th, I will likely wait until July 25 to race because I want to be confident I'm at 100% or as close to it as I can be.   I'm fit now and down to race weight.  The next 3 weeks of protective training with most volume on grass, and only speed work on the track, increased strengthening/ prehab... I should be good to go for my M60 debut.  With this series slated to go through early Sept.  I'd like to go to multiple meets at this venue, so no point in risking injury.

The new Life University Track, Marietta, GA.  It is an IAAF track, not the usual equal quad track you more often see:






No comments:

Post a Comment