Saturday, July 25, 2020

First race in 2 years: Meet report - American Track League Open/Masters

My M60 debut went ok today, made it all the way around the track without getting hurt.

57.49 - 400m

Actually a decent time, 0.01 faster than I ran in Spain in my disastrous semi-final.  I feel ok about it.  This time would have medaled in the last 2 WMAC World Championships in the M60 age groups, and I think I can go faster (we always do!), since I've barely done any speed work this year.

I really liked this meet.  Being a masters and open meet, there weren't that many people, so little danger of the virus.  Lot's of room to be away from people, and the conditions were great.  A brand new surface IAAF red track, no wind, and not too hot.  It did not rain on the track but nearby rain showers cooled the ambient temperature down and with a 6:45 pm start time, I think it was only about 80ยบ ... which for Atlanta in July, is great.

It was an odd trip because of traffic.  I was on schedule but lane closures made it so it took me almost an hour to drive the last 15 miles.  I got there an hour before my race, so it was cool.  I found a great spot behind the bleachers where I could take my mask off and warm up, stretch.  Unfortunately, I got stung by a wasp in the calf muscle, but it didn't affect me.

Due to scratches, I almost ran alone but they combined some heats and it was just me and a guy in his 20s in lanes 5 and 6.  He stayed about 15-20m ahead of me and pulled away down the stretch finishing in 51.  I was the oldest runner at the meet, although Dave H. (M50) was there and would have been close to me in time, but he scratched.

Overall, I felt pretty controlled the whole way and even perhaps a bit conservative on the front end.  Emma's son videoed my race and I estimate my 200m split wasn't much faster than about 27.

It was cool seeing some elites there.  In the women's heat before me, US women's champion Shakima Wimbly was racing Courtney Okolo.  Shakima DNF'd at 300m, I think she didn't want to take a loss.  Elites pros like these 2 are just people like the rest of us, the guys had no idea who she was, just another track chic...  a tall fast one.  I also saw Jamaican Natoya Goule run a 2:00.46 800m.  She's a 3X NCAA champion and took 6th in the World Championships last year in Doha.  She ran her first 400m in 58, wow.

Anyway, they have meets there all next month, almost every weekend.  Perhaps I'll try another 400m, but next week, thinking about maybe the 200m. 



2 comments:

  1. GREAT work! 57.49 in the pandemic is an amazing time, and all Masters sprinters (and athletes of all ages) should be inspired by the dedication you've shown these past months. I read every word of every blog post, and always enjoy it. (I decided to train through this season and not race, but am doing some time trials along the way to stay honest.) Look forward to seeing you on the National / Intl Masters circuit when it is back up and running. Keep up the great work. -- Francis Shen (M40-44 hurdler/sprinter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Bill.... Great Time...!

    ReplyDelete