Saturday, July 4, 2020

hills, bands, surreal 4th

After two days off the track, some cross training on the bike and swimming across the lake, I was back to the track on a surreal July 4th in Sewanee.  It was a humid 76ยบ this evening.  I say surreal because there surely has never been a 4th of July in Sewanee like this.

Sewanee is a small town that usually has a BIG traditional 4th of July celebration that goes all day long and brings people in from afar.  Starts in the morning with silly pet shows and pie eating contests, a crafts fair, afternoon parade, campus tours, and fireworks.   But today, not one person to be seen, not one fire cracker, not kid on his bike, no walkers, nobody.  The track stadium was all mine. A private athletic paradise. 

After a sweaty warmup, some strides, and some resistance, I realized my ham was still sore so I did what I often do to get a good workout in this situation.  I went to the steep on Roarkes Cove Rd to run some hills.

Hoka trainers on 
4 x 100m, stretches, drills 
band work - hams, more hams, quads 
2 x 100m striders 
band work - hams, more hams, quads 
100m hill sprint 
3 x 200m hill sprints 
band work - hams 
100m strider

Yes, the ham is still sore and there is no way I'd be ready to race in a week.  Good thing about this new meet series.

I tested out the hill with a moderate 100m.  It was fine, so I got down to business and ran 3x200m, each one a little faster.   200m on this hill is a bitch.  The last 50m are the steepest.  Running all out, I'm lucky to break 40 on this 200m hill, today was happy to run 46, 45, 44.  It's about the same as a hard 300m, but a bit more muscular fatigue.

I'll probably continue with the hill and turf workouts for the next week, on the track every third day, and will continue to aggressively cross train.  I'm planning to swim about everyday and bike.  Planning to do the big hill at Raccoon Mtn. this week from the boat, same exact thing I did last yr on my Bday.

142.2  lbs after workout





No comments:

Post a Comment