Saturday, May 16, 2020

bike gearing, food, changes

Warm day in Sewanee.  Near 80º. 

The new gear on the bike isn't as low as I need to do serious long hill climbs.  It's has a 42/52 front crank, and a 28 tooth rear low gear.  The low gear on my mountain bike is 28 front/34 rear.  I think I'm going to need a new crank (front sprocket set) and a 34 tooth 'escape gear' in the rear.  Could be looking at about $150 on top of the $100 I've already spent on the other gear, the rim straightening and new tire, tube, and tune up.   This mid '80's vintage Miyata road bike is really not too bad for the $50 I originally paid for it many yrs ago.  I discovered this Miyata Seven Ten model I have was actually considered a "A mid- to high-end road bike from the Semi-Pro group"  back in the mid 80's.  (I saw a few restored models of this bike selling for several hundred $$$).   It weighs only 23.5 lbs., so, I guess it's worth rebuilding.   It's better than putting $1500+ out for a new bike.  I'm wondering if I can get a triple front crank 52/42/30t?  Brian at Woody's does great work and cheap.  I'm extremely lucky to have a bike shop like that in my small town.

So, I couldn't make it up Roark's Cove Rd today without stopping.  I did get a good workout, though  it's been a while since I've done a serious hill climb.  I did go to the track to stretch and do some drills, but no running.  Did a set of pullups and pushups, nothing much, basically a day off.  I expect to be back to the track on Monday.

Food
For the past few months I've been living with an expert salad maker, but now that Roya is gone, I'll probably be keeping different hours, working on my class at night, and eating less salad.  Our one daily meal has been, 90% of the time, a salad and grilled chicken breast.   I'll probably eating more meat and less vegetables as I try to strength train.

Science and diet
A friend of mind sent me this article showing a direct correlation between higher body fat and loss of memory and brain atrophy with age.   Guess I shouldn't have bought baguettes and pastry at Panera today!  Fat ages, in many ways.  Fasting and HIIT, the opposite.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0197458019303604

No comments:

Post a Comment