Sunday, October 27, 2019

2nd week off the track

It's been 2 weeks off the track and I feel the plantar fasciitis is much improved.  I feel I could do a track workout tomorrow but I'm going to give it at least another week.  

Been biking both road and stationary a lot.  I was attacked by the local redneck's pit bull on Monday while riding, I got away but he chased me off the road and I almost went down.  I bought some pepper spray and have begun 'training' him.   First 'training session' was yesterday and he responded well.   Hopefully the dog is smart and will not need further 'lessons.'

There has been a stupid infringement on my use of the glute machine in Sewanee.  I guess I'm partly responsible since I've often left the added weight (usually 3 dumb bells weighing 60-70 lbs each) on the stack.   The management took the dumb bells away and hid them (I found them later) and posted a sign on the machine saying, "Do not add extra weights to this machine, you will break it."  Instead of ripping the sign down, I wrote on the sign a response:  "This is absolute bullshit, I've been adding weight to this machine for 5 years.  The machine is fine."  From now on, I will not leave the added weight on the machine but will keep the dumb bells stored behind it.  It should be ok.  I always workout during the last hour that the place is open, often between 10-11pm.  There is almost no one there at that time.   So I don't expect any resistance to my routine.  This glute machine is particularly good for me because I can strengthen my upper hams and glutes without stressing or engaging my knee.  It's kind of a stupid machine... the stack only goes to 150 lbs.... not enough weight to effectively strengthen the glutes - the largest and strongest muscle in the body.  I could literally pump 150 lbs all day.  When I add 190 lbs in dumb bells on the stack, making the total weight 340 lbs, I can still pump it 50 to 60 reps.  This machine is used by sprinters a lot I think.  I saw 2 of them at LSU where their track team trains, except the stack was much larger, I think 450 lbs.  

My fitness has lapsed slightly as my diet has not been as good.  Outings with students and friends last week caused some minor weight gain, however, I quasi-fasted yesterday and weigh in the 146s today.  

Tonight, going to the gym to do glute machine and maybe I'll rip that damn sign down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment