Monday, October 14, 2019

first 400m in more than a year

My plantar fasciitis is only allowing me one minimal track workout a week.  Back in July, I was on track to run a sub 60 400m by now, but with this plantar issue keeping me from a serious track regime, I'm not in 400m shape.  Today, beautiful day in Sewanee, mid 60ºs at the track.

As I was warming up, I was really aware of the pain in my feet.   Only ran 250m warmup.  But after stretching drills, it felt a little better.  Doing every trick to protect my feet, K-tape, fresh thick socks, inserts, new Hoka Clifton 1 trainers put on just before the run.

Hoka trainers on 
250m warmup, stretches, drills 
400m - 62.3

It was close to my goal of 62.  I had set my goal splits to 14,15,16,17... pretty much hit them spot on. albeit with a short running start.  The foot held up ok during the sprint but I know I'll pay for it in the next few days.  The sprint definitely hurt, it was pretty much a maximum effort, although I did not run the first 200 at my usual race pace.  I'm not used to that level of exertion.  The glutes, gut, lungs... etc... hurt.  Not in terrible shape to run a 62 in training shoes in Oct, but have a long ways to go.

The way it has been, for a month, I do a track workout, then limp for a few days ... and when I'm about recovered, I do another track workout.  If I do race this senior games meet on Sunday, it's not going to be any faster than 62... because I have to go from a standing start and I definitely will not be in spikes or use blocks.  It's supposed to be warm but raining that day.

It looks like I'm going to have to take some time off from the track if this is going to heal.   Heal the heel.

I'll probably go to the gym tonight and tomorrow night and do stairmaster or bike.

145.3 lbs after workout.


No comments:

Post a Comment