Saturday, December 10, 2016

Foundation 800s

Foundation work is always a bitch.  Especially 800m repeats.  No sprinters do these, although most would agree an aerobic foundation in the off season is necessary for an aged 400m masters.  Bill Collins certainly agrees.

Cold today, low 40ºs but sunny at the Sewanee track.  T-shirt weather for training.  
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills  
3 x 800m - 2:38, 2:41, 2:48
It felt a bit better than last time and it wasn't too bad because I didn't push super hard and I took ample rest between, about 15m.

Looking back at my cycle between nationals and world this year, I did about 4 workouts of high volume 600 and 800 repeats, not as many as I did in '15, before going to shorter interval and tempo workouts.   Did more tempo workouts, they are the hardest.   I have less time this year.  Just 4 weeks before the first opportunity to race and 10 weeks before Nationals.

Planning to keep it to long foundation intervals for next week.  Two times on the track and 2 in the weight room.  I may do stadium stairs Thurs.  I'm hoping to ramp up but Xmas week I'm traveling and it will be difficult to find a track while out of town.    

My weight sucks.  Ranging 146-150.  Woke up at 147.8, 145.8 lbs after workout, but hadn't eaten anything all day.  My left foot is definitely recovering.  It's ok and I'm not taping or padding it at all except for heavy socks.  My right foot has the usual low level soreness.  Much better than I was in Sept. when this metatarsalgia reared it's ugly head.





No comments:

Post a Comment