Sunday, April 14, 2013

Strength

Because of a minor back issue caused by the rower, I did squats and single leg box jumps on Friday night.   The Fowler Center was almost empty at 9 pm ... the 2 people in there besides me I knew, which was cool.

I've been testing the foot,  running in place on mats.  It feels ok but is sore a little afterward.  My mother who had this injury said that it will continue to hurt a bit after it's healed.   I am also doing some calf raises in preparation for running.   Next Xrays are in 9 days, 6+ weeks since my last set.   This Friday will be the 16th week and I'm hopeful.  I expect I'll be running grass and stadium stairs in a few weeks.
150m jog, dynamic stretches, drills 
3 x 15 single leg box jumps 
2 x 15 squats with 40lbs 
2 x 50 single leg calf raises
The title of this blog... Sprint Forever may be wishful thinking.   Don't know if I will be able to sprint forever.   This time off has made my body less suited to the sport, even though I am a decent weight - about 145-6.   I need to ramp up on the resistance bands or I'll get injured if I try to run fast too soon.

I do miss the track and am sad to have missed the college season.   If I do compete again, June will be like Nov or Dec... and not even that fit.  I have no plans to go to the Nationals in KS, unless I surprise myself and start running fast again.  I think about last year at this time, running meets every weekend for 6 weeks.  Yesterday was the Boston Moon Classic at TSU... the same meet last year where I beat all the Sewanee guys in my heat and was consistently running in the 55's.  Seems like a lifetime ago.
I looked at the results this year... I would have beat a few guys again.   I also think of my former teammates from Phily getting ready for Penn.  What an adventure that was.

Maybe I'll eventually get back.

2 comments:

  1. the utility of the rower in your case is to improve aerobic capacity so that, upon return to track, you can better tolerate running. continuous rowing with pace changes, intervals at end of a rowing workout(with active rest, i.e., rowing through the rest periods) will provide the stress needed for aerobic system adaptation. in any event rowing sprints will not translate to running sprints and sprints of any type increase risk of injury. (save sprinting for the track..)

    ReplyDelete