Sunday, December 2, 2012

500s, breakin' out the blocks, ... and then some

The 'animal start'
Today was hard.

Not only did I run the fastest set of 500s ever, but I did a few fast 200s and 100s out of blocks, and then, hiked for 8 miles (2 1/2 hours) with friends... all before my first meal.

Didn't get home until just before sunset.

Beautiful day in Sewanee, mid 60sÂș, mostly sunny.  Happy to run shirtless.



700m warmup, stretches, drills 
4 x 500m - 80, 82, 82, 86  (82.5 avg) 
2 x 100m - from blocks, on the turn 
2 x 200m - from blocks - 27, 30

I took ample rest between the 500s.  About the same pace I was running last June.  Surprising since I am overweight.  The starts felt good, the so-called "animal start" allows me to get my lead foot really close to the line.  The whole point is that I'm leaned very far forward and compensate by blasting out with an arm push, hence the bent arms.

The holiday eating caught up with me and I weighed 144 this morning out of bed, but burned so many calories today.   Wow, fish and lettuce never tasted so good.  Rice crackers with preserves and tea for dessert while watching a great sunset.

My ankle is sore... I asked John yesterday if he wanted to hike today, he said no... then today he takes me on an 8 mile hike with no water.   I thought he was just going for a walk.   It was cool outside so I didn't mind.  A good calorie burn.   I went to bed weighing 146+ lbs and was 140.5 after workout and hike.

Brief speed workout and event run on Tues.  Starts with the team on Thurs.  Meet on Sat.  Will run the 400m, woulk like to run the 200m but don't want to hang around that long... want to get up to the mountain Sat eve.


No comments:

Post a Comment