Friday, November 18, 2011

Spikes On!




For the first time in over 15 weeks, I tore around the track with my spikes on... and it felt good. Still not running fast, no more than 75%. But it felt good to run with sprint stride again ... and no pain.

I felt a lot of apprehension while packing my spikes and getting ready to leave. "Am I ready for this?" I was a bit nervous, and my hamstrings sore from Wed resistance, so I decided to do a good warmup and then decide. The Dean Hayes Track was bathed in brilliant sunshine on a cold breezy upper 40ยบ's morning. In the first 100m of my first warmup lap I decided it was a 'go' ... it felt good. So after an 800m warmup, a few dozen leg swings and sprinter drills ... on with the spikes and off with the sweats.

800m warmup, stretching and drills

5 x 400m - 2 min rest in between - 73, 76, 83, 87, 86

The last 2 were mean. Fatigue dropped me off my toes on the last turn of the last two 400s - I was not able to maintain good form the whole way but I made sure I got it back for the last 100m straight. The first one felt great and easy. I think I could run a low 60's 400m right now but I won't be going there for at least 3 weeks. My splits were lopsided as usual ... 34/39 and 35/41 on the first 2. Next time, I'll try for some negative split 400s, even if they are slower overall. Next running day - Mon or Tues, probably do a mixed workout of foundation and long sprints, 800s and 400s. Week after next, I will move to 3 days a week of running if all goes well.

Weight is beginning to come down - 146.6

I hope to be consistently below 145 by Dec and race weight by Jan.

1 comment: