Sunday, July 2, 2023

USATF SE Regionals meet report





It was hot, but not as hot as forecast.  Heat index at race time in the low 100ºs.   

I achieved my goal but just barely:  58.97.    (UPDATE:  I saw the official results sheet and it said 58.97).   The timer is also the meet director and unlike a professional timing company, doesn't post real time results online, and the majority of athletes left the meet without knowing their result.  I asked him about it and he said results will be posted by Monday.  Thankful for all Shawn did to put this meet on but he really should hire a professional timer.  That is ridiculous... having to wait 3 days after the meet for your results... unless you stand in line for 30 min to get your medal, which I never do.   (I asked Willie to collect my medal and 58.97 was what was engraved in my medal).   

At least it was a slight improvement over last race, but not enough.  Better than going the other way.  But, not fast enough to win at Nationals.  It may move me up in the world rankings a few notches to the top 5 depending on incoming results.  

I warmed up almost an hour before race then rested quite a while before the race.  Didn't want to expend too much energy warming up in the heat just before I ran.  It was a weird race because of the start.  I flinched really hard before the gun and I assumed they'd call the false start so I jumped from the blocks a split second early, ran 2 steps, started slowing down, then realized they weren't going to call it and just let us go.  That slow down probably cost me a few tenths if I had just gone with it and not slowed down and had an aggressive start.  It was a full heat.   Calvin M51 was the fastest guy and was to my inside.  He cruised by me on the final turn and got 20m ahead by the finish, he ran mid 55s.   I felt ok and didn't rig too badly in the end.  I figure my splits were about 27.5 / 31.5. 

Still alot of work to do and I registered for next weekends meet in GA.  I got home about 5 pm after a terrific rainstorm and even thought about going to the track for a workout.  I was tired and hungry so I stayed in.   Be out later Sunday.  

By the time the 200m was finishing, a tremendous storm hit, blowing away the tents for the clerk and the concessions.  I ran for my life and was almost hit by a tent and flying garbage cans.  

This meet was a reunion of sorts of 4 of us masters sprinters who hold state records in KY.  KY is one of the states that maintains a list of masters state records (separate from Sr. Games).   According to one list, here are the records I still hold in KY, these are from 2014 and 2016.  (Yes, weird that I ran the same exact 400m time in both age groups, not a misprint).  

M50 100 - 12.36
M50 200m - 25.25 
M50 400m - 56.16
M55  400m  - 56.16
M55 200m - 25.01

I had broken Avital Schurr's 400m records from decades earlier, and Sonny Collin's 200m records.  Both Sonny age 73, and Avital -  age 81, were at the meet.  Also, Duane was there who I think had taken the KY M60 100m record recently.  

Sonny, Avital, me, Duane





5 comments:

  1. Response to Meal Ingestion Following Resistance-Type Exercise
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-019-01053-5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to add another good paper referenced by attiafraud

      Delete
    2. So I guess eating my protein ice cream immediately after workout is a good idea.

      Delete
    3. Yes. Pure whey protein without any other sources of calories would be theoretically better from a longevity standpoint as it the insulin response would be negligible.

      Delete
  2. For me longevity: high VO2 max, check. Lean mass and strength, needs improvement. Metabolic health: dysfunctional, intervention ongoing. Renal health: need’s preservation. So this study tells me I can get the greatest bang for the renal buck with protein dosing right after lifting, and eating glycemic controlled otherwise. High protein pops my blood urea nitrogen (BUN) due to urea cycle in processing amino acids and the conduit reabsorbing the urea. Conduits are constructed from intestines so a portion kidneys wastes get reabsorbed and have to be reprocessed. High BUN is a factor for CKD progression so should be avoided. Hence protein intake needs to be controlled.

    ReplyDelete