Sunday, July 23, 2023

2023 USATF Masters Outdoor National Championships - Day 4

Well, I won the 200m.  

My 9th USATF Masters National sprint title.  My second 200m title.  I won it with my B-game, actually my slowest 200m race this season.   Had a headwind and went out too fast, just too excited I guess.  Lost a lot of time in the last 25m when I started getting tight, especially in the last few steps.  But.. a win is a win, especially at Nationals.  

At age 63, I was the oldest M60 in the 200m Final, most were 60.  I kind of feel I didn't represent my age group well, as well as I should have.  Anyway, my semi-final time made top 10 in the world.   

Afterward, I led off for our club 4x400m relay, was really tired, too much sun, but still managed about a 60 sec split, giving us an insurmountable lead which we retained, winning the Gold.  

Considering the fact that when I was 58 and 4th yr in my M55 age group, I didn't even medal, so this was a generally an improvement.   Overall, a successful meet.  I medaled in the fastest M60 final in over a decade, ran a season's best, and won a National 200m title with my B-game.   

Presently, sitting in ATL airport, my 30m flight to Chattanooga has been delayed til the wee hours.  I probably will get home by 2am, I hope.  

I have a lot more to write about this amazing event, but need to decompress for a while.  Have lots of photos and more details.  Every National Masters meet is like a family reunion.   Huge family.  

I want to thank the readers of my blog.    Stay forever fast, my friends.  Sprinting makes you young.  

Finish of the M60 200m Championship Final
























Lead off leg, M60 4x400m Club Relay
Handoff to Ray P.


No comments:

Post a Comment