Saturday, April 1, 2023

WMACI World Masters Championships, 200m Final

With the most competitive field ever assembled for an M60 200m World Championship Indoor Final, and being the slowest qualifier in lane one, I decided I'm not going to risk injury by really going after this one since on Saturday, Team USA is depending on me to anchor both M60 mens and mixed relay teams where we have a decent chance at Silver.  No one is going to beat the Brits.  

This 200m final was truly historic.  John Wright set the world record in 24.28, breaking masters legend Bill Collins' record which stood for 12 years.  I believe this was faster than any M60 200m since then, including outdoors.   It was 0.17 faster than Pat's outdoor World Championship in Finland last year.  John won by nearly a second over Pat who was Silver in 25.22, and Jorgen 25.35.   Everyone else ran over 26.  I finished last in 26.66, quite slow but not ridiculous.  Lane one was tough.  I had a sore quad coming in and my L adductor was sore afterward.  

John Wright is now becoming a master track legend.  One of the greatest athletes over 60 in history, and he is a smart trainer and hasn't ever been seriously injured.  The thing is, he's a year older than me so he will be ever present in my age group and unbeatable.   The only time he leaves my age group is when I am at the end (i.e. ... like 64).  He will set the standard for years to come and everyone else will be competing for Silver and Bronze.  He is generally a long sprinter but has 100m speed, and has broken 12 last year.  And get this... he never uses starting blocks!

You want to see one of the greatest sprinters in Masters history, watch this.   Notice John's perfect form, beautiful upright and smooth running style, looks effortless.  Here's the race, (notice the judge comes over and tells me my left hand is touching the start line, it really wasn't...sheesh!):   

https://www.youtube.com/live/83M_QYqwBVw?feature=share&t=21321

It's great to have been a part of history and to have participated with these great athletes and great people.  John is a soft spoken classy guy, very nice dude.   I am envious of people like John.  He certainly doesn't need to work as hard to be great.  People like me with no talent have to work their ass off to even be in the same race, 20m behind.  

Anyway, off to the relays today.   After pissing away my last best chance to medal at a worlds in an individual event, maybe we'll get a souvenir today ... with a little help from my friends.   Our mens team isn't particularly strong, Marcus is running injured, and we may have competition from France and Germany for the medals.  Our mixed team is stronger because of the women, India who medaled in the 200m, and Shemayne who was like me the last qualifying finalist.  That is our best relay.  We might even have a shot at Gold depending on what the Brits put up.   Being the top US male, I was selected to anchor both relays.  Hope I can get through with no injuries.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment