Tuesday, April 25, 2023

400

Last workout before Penn, and I'm feeling a bit under trained to run my leg of the 400m on our relay, since I've done almost no conditioning work since Poland, except for that tempo workout Allan gave me.  So, I decided to just run a 400m today in trainers to see where I am.  I went out in a modest first 200m.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2x100m, 50m, bands

Adidas trainers on

400m - 60.97 (13.90, 15.17, 15.27, 16.63 /  29.07, 31.90)

It wasn't terrible, considering in trainers, and no one else in the US in M60 has run under 61 this year so far.   141.3 lbs after workout.  

I will have competition at Penn.  The Global Sprinters club has 2 guys who ran 58 last year and one of them will likely lead off. Penn is not like a typical 4x4 relay.  It's not like everyone has their own lane, starting blocks, and everyone runs a 3 turn stagger.  No, it's a waterfall start and a mad dash to the first turn, with 13 teams.  Chaos.  The first time I did it, I was surprised by the quick gun and the elbows.  At Penn, the leadoff guy has to go out unusually hard.   

Here's a photo of my first time at Penn leading off.  Darnell to my L, Rudy to my R.  I finished my leg in 3rd.  Can't believe this was 11 years ago.  


 

Also, I did a phone interview with the Washington Post today on Masters at the Penn Relays and training for Masters Track. The article should come out in a week or 2.

2 comments:

  1. You should try racing a bike. Never any lanes, 40 plus MPH downhill in a 100 bike pack. Which is why I wrote 10 plus years ago to try competitive cycling “before it’s too late”. Nothing to do with physical becomes mental and skill. We used to practice riding at 20 plus mph leaning on each other. Actually they make newbies race 10 times with Cat 5’s before they can race masters. So you have to race with a bunch of inexperienced young testosterone filled cyclists taking lots of chances. Tough to break into if older. Actually I think you could have been a great cyclist if you started young. Small enough to be aero and get drafts, enough endurance to hang in there, a risk taker and can sprint. Great attributes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually there is one attribute that might be disadvantages for you with cycling- for sustained power longer femur relative to tibia length is important as it allows for more glute and hamstring engagement. That is opposite as what is needed for running sprints and jumping. That is for sustained power not sure about sprinting on bikes.

      Delete