Saturday, April 22, 2023

Sewanee Mt Laurel meet report

Just one of the boys... 




No real fast times today, although my 26.26 is the fastest outdoor 200m time in M60 in this hemisphere, but that's because it's early in the Masters season and the European elites haven't raced.  I know I can go faster without wind, as I ran faster indoor.  

This meet was all about the joy of racing at nearly age 63 with kids 1/3 my age.  It's a privilege.  I had fun.  Turned out to be a beautiful day, low 60ºs, brilliant sunshine, breezy.  It was my 59th college meet since age 50.   Happy to have raced with no injuries, as I'm getting ready to race the Masters 100m and 2 relays at Penn in 5 days.  

The race could have been better executed, but I was only about 0.3 behind the next slowest guy.   As you can see in the video, my start was ok, my reaction time just as good as the other guys, I think I beat two in front of me out of the blocks.  I was in lane 3 and to my inside, was Sewanee's powerful star running back from the football team and his start was quite powerful.  He made up the stagger on the field in short order and won the heat, I tried to go with him and I made up the stagger on the guy to my outside, probably too fast because he put several meters on me by the end.  I faded quite a bit in the last 40m.  I probably went out in 12.7 into a headwind.  The first 100m we were into a headwind and the last 100m, a crosswind although the wind gage said tail wind.  

Anyway, this sets me up well for Penn Relays on Thursday.  The biggest win for me today was no injuries because I was a bit worried about that since I felt a high ham soreness on my L side.  It went away.  

I raced about 141 lbs, not super light but decent weight.   

I'm thinking about running more 100s and 200s.  After Penn, I may enter the college meet in Marietta on May 5 and sign up for the 100 and 200.  

Great to be sprinting healthy.  

Me and Mike, Sewanee's star football running back.  Very quick for bigger fellow.  He won the heat.  



No comments:

Post a Comment