Thursday, January 12, 2023

bike climb, lane draw

Did the bike climb with the new gears today.  Happy to get out in between rain storms.  Again, a PR and was much easier, 19:20.  Slightly faster than last time, as I paced myself a bit more.  It was fairly nice, mid 50ºs.  

I found that I did use the new 34t gear, it allowed me to 'rest' at about 5 - 5.5 mph while climbing.  I also didn't have to stand up as much.  I asked one of my biking friends about this and he said, 'no one ever complained about having too low of a gear.'  I still have the 11t gear for the level.  It shifts perfectly.  

I've decided I should give bike shoes a try so I'm going to go with some used Shimano cheapos on Ebay made for my specific pedals and some 6º float cleats.  All together, less than $40.  

Been stacking up the firewood, tomorrow it's supposed to be freezing and an inch of snow.  Happy to have the indoor track to go to tomorrow.  Will just do short stuff and blocks.  

Emory Crossplex Showdown meet

Bummed that I got the worst lane in Sunday's meet.  They are using lanes 2-6 for the 400, and I of course get lane 2.  In my heat with 3 college guys is a 49 year old masters guy I've raced before named Ronald Clarke who LIED about his seed time and got lane 4.  He seeded himself at 58.00 and has never broken a minute in his masters career, even at M40.  I usually don't mention people's full names on my blog, but fake seed times are definitely a pet peeve, especially when they screw me out of a lane.  I seeded myself at 58.39, my last season's PR.  Should have seeded myself at previous season's PR, would have had a good lane.  But you never know how these things will work out if you can't see the performance list.   Was actually thinking about bailing on this meet and going to the one the following weekend, but I think my schedule is best to race every other weekend than consecutive weekends.  

I suppose I should post a meet schedule, as I've always done in the past.  

5 comments:

  1. This guys Strava segment shows the climbs average grade of 6.2 percent by GPS.

    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29922773?lang=en

    No need for 34. Not true that no one complains about a smaller gear as it means the jumps or spacing changes from gear to gear. Sure, average middle age riders need the bail out gear but you aren’t in that category. 34-28 is already a pretty dang low gear ratio. I could see a 34 if you are bike touring with multiple back to back days with a lot of miles and climbs. Like hours a day on the bike. In that case switch it out before the trip. Anyway this guys Strava page (click on his name) has a lot of rides around Tennessee. Maybe some of them would be of interest to you after your track season is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 34-34 is low, but not as low as my steel bike's 30-34, or my mtn bike's 28-34. How about this one? Shimano makes an 11-40t https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SLX-CS-M7000-Cassette

      Delete
    2. Interesting GPS. Shows maximum grade at 12.8% in one spot Roark's Cove. Based on topo maps, I think that section is steeper. The steep rises about 100m in a 450m run. 22%

      Delete
  2. Suit yourself. You obviously have very good strength to weight and now a capable bike so something seems off. Maybe you just don’t pedal efficiently, clip less should help with that. Will allow you to pull up especially in steep sections. Maybe it’s that your total time on bike is actually very little. Find some fairly flat 15 to 20 mile out and back or circuitous course and time trial it with accurately calibrated bike computer. If average speed for your physical capabilities and low profile should be at least 19 mph. If not probably your pedaling efficiency is poor and some focus on it would substantially improve riding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn’t see your 22 percent comment. Very few paved roads are that steep but sometimes gps calculates funny. I can see a bail out gear even for someone as strong as you for 22 percent

    ReplyDelete