Monday, January 30, 2023

600, 100s (slow), bike

I was happy to not have lost a day of training and returned to the track today for some slow running despite the sore ham.   Was a great day for weather, upper 50ºs.  Made sure I was fully warmed up and worked the injured area with bands, massage gun, balm and stick.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, massage gun, bands, stick, eccentric exercises

600m - 1:56 (76, 40)

2 x 100m strides - 18, 16.7

Bike up the mountain - 21 min

Not too bad for a light track workout.  I was definitely feeling the ham a little toward the end of the 600, despite running quite slow.  I tested it in 2 more 100m sprints.  Definitely an issue still.  Beginning to really doubt that I should race in 2 weeks.  

I then went home and had tea, a light lunch and went back out for a hard climb up the mountain on the bike.  First time in bike shoes.  Right about 21min flat, in the the top 5-6 or so fastest times up.  

It's only been 2 days but the injury, while not like the proximal injury on the left side, feels similar in some ways and may be a similar type problem in that I don't feel it in ham curls as much as full extension bridges.  Definitely not like the left side where primary pain / strain was in my butt.  

Tomorrow, the rain should stop by 11am but it will be cold, in the 30ºs.  We'll see how it feels, may just go out and do some light strides.   Or, I might just stay home and lift/prehab.  I'm hoping I can resume intensive tempo training by next weekend since it doesn't involve real fast running.   But, the main objective is to heal.  If it feels better after a workout, then it's healing, if it feels worse and sore, than it's not.   Today it felt a bit worse after running but better after biking.

Gotta quit the creatine.  Too heavy.  Was 142 for today's workout.   141.8 lbs after workout and a light lunch.  


4 comments:

  1. Although I don’t think creatine is a good idea for overall health reasons, I think the water weight gain is transitory and would drop within a few days of stopping it, whether you stop now or later.

    Sorry to belabor the point but that EPOC study review I posted was excellent. One of the references looked at Supra maximal sprint training which is probably most similar to yours. Actually yours is probably a cross between that and HIIT. “Excess Postexercise Oxygen Consumption After High-Intensity and Sprint Interval Exercise, and Continuous Steady-State Exercise”

    https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Fulltext/2016/11000/Excess_Postexercise_Oxygen_Consumption_After.16.aspx

    Hope you find it as interesting as I do. I like studies like this not all that dissimilar to what I do as a subset of my job (methods and analysis)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting study although small. It's more than just P-E oxygen consumption. It's also elevated heart rate and and general metabolism, the so called 'after burn.' I think if the HR is pushed to the max, it is more likely to remain high longer afterward.

      In the study, the HIE workout seemed the the toughest, like running 4x1000m w/ 4 rest. Their example of SIE is almost exactly what I did in a late season '21 - 6x200m workout w/ 3 min rest. Grueling workout, I only completed a set of 6 on 3 occasions. Best avg was 28.4. Probably never again.

      Delete
    2. The number of subjects is small but it is well controlled with good methodology. In the end increase metabolism must manifest itself in oxygen consumption so that should cover pretty much everything. Also note that they included whole room calorimetry which is another way to measure it and technically the purest way as calories are a unit of heat. It substantiates the oxygen consumption data. Check the references on exercise induced cardiac fatigue that is probably the greatest contributor to elevated heart rate. Just like skeletal muscles heart muscles tire. Typically transitory but while tired the ventricles eject just a little less blood which is compensated for by increased heart rate. Unknown if the hearts response to this is healthy adaptation or what they call “remodeling” which can lead to arrhythmias or other issues. Obviously I hope the former. I’m sure when you dig as deep as you do in your training you are experiencing transitory cardiac fatigue. It just hasn’t been studied yet with sprint training as far as I know but they will get to it eventually. Phd candidates need to study something.

      Delete
    3. A comment about your workouts - incredibly hard and taxing verifies by your blood glucose response. That is only achieved with complete exhaustion most humans cannot elicit that response as they are not conditioned enough to get there. That is also something only studied to this point with more traditional 15 to 20 minute tests to exhaustion and you got it with sprints. So connecting the dots the other physiological responses, I.e., cardiac fatigue, are likely there also.

      Delete