Monday, January 23, 2023

200m tempo, 100m weight pulls

Cold, but the sun came out mid afternoon, light winds, 39º.   Track was wet from yesterday's rain.

Yesterday, did 6 sets of core work, bicycle crunches with ankle weights and holding a 25lb dumbell.  Also ab wheel, pullups, bands. 

I was going to try a 4x200m with just 1 min rest.  Thought about lengthening the rest to 75 sec but no, went with it.  Cut the last rep short to 100m.  4x200 w/ 1min is no joke, it's really hard if you're aiming for 30.

Hoka trainers on 

stretches, drills, 2 x 100m

Adidas trainers on

3 x 200m and 1 x 100m w/ 1 min rest - 29.80, 31.2, 32.66, 16.17

Hoka trainers on

200m - 28.94

60m, 4x100m 45 lb weight pulls on turf ~ 22 

I was going to do a 2x200 set w/ 1min but I felt some tightness in my left ham and didn't want to take chances, so I cut the last 200m and went to the field with weight and harness.  

This is the first time I've tried 100m 45 lb weight pull sprints.  I usually had done 60m or even 50 yds.  These were hard at the end of a workout.  The last two I took a full 5 min rest.  My fastest one was about 22 sec.   

The foot feels ok but on the suggestion I got a long time ago, I'm going to try some carbon fiber inserts in my trainers.  

I will likely go out tomorrow early, late morning.  It's essentially my first full day of work this semester.  Weather is going to be bad Wed-Thurs and I work so may not be on the track til Friday.  

Despite my general slowing and decline in performance, I'm dedicated to doing my best and motivated to improve.  A lot of it is definitely mental, making sure I give my brain an assignment when I race and making sure I'm moving efficiently and without strain or tension.  

138.3 lbs after workout.

Looking at previous M60 World indoor championships, 2019 was unusually competitive as will be this one, assuming John comes.  In '17, only one M60 medalist broke a minute.  This year, John could conceivably threaten the M60 WR of 55.62 if he brings it.  Just happy to run along with these awesome athletes.  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the comment was: can't imagine sub 60 after 60 you guys are unreal

      Delete
    2. There will be a dozen+ people in M60 at the world meet who will seed themselves under 60 sec, but less than half will actually run that fast. A lot of attrition through the rounds - prelims, semis, finals. As you once said, being uninjured is #1.

      Delete