Saturday, January 28, 2023

250, 150, strain

 Partly sunny, S wind and about 50º.   Wanted to run some race pace today but foot was a bit sore after yesterday's 300 tempo workout.  Nevertheless, I ran a good 250, 150, then put the spikes on to run one more 150 and felt a pinch in my right ham 20m before the end.  Was debating on doing this last sprint or just doing weight pulls.   Should have gone with the weight pulls.  These sprints were done 3 step rolling and at about 400m race pace or slightly faster.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, bands, drills, 2x100

2 x 50m - 6.82, 6.51

Adidas trainers on

250m - 33.97 (26.62, 7.35)

150m - 19.49 (6.35, 13.14)

Hoka spikes on

150m - DNF  (first 50m - 6.29)

On the last 150, I was of course trying to 'one up' myself and maybe break 19.  And that's what got me into trouble.  Doing near full rest speed work in cold temperatures is somewhat risky and putting spikes on increases the risk.  This ham strain I don't think is serious, but it is a reoccurring soreness in this area I felt after my second race and my 400m time trial a few weeks ago.  While not serious, I need to rehab it fully and not risk anymore speed work in the next 10 days at least.  It's not the same side as last year's proximal ham injury, but it's in the mid-upper tendinous part of the ham,  but at least 4" from the proximal attachment.   I won't know how this will affect my training til I get out there on Monday, but it shouldn't prevent me from running slower overdistance and submaximal tempo, which is the bread n butter of my training anyway.  It's definitely a setback and although minor, probably the most significant injury of this training season (other than the ongoing foot issue).  Bummer, because I was feeling really good after yesterday's tempo set.  

I found a solution to pulling weight on the track.  There's a sled parked on the track with 90lbs on it.  The sled and barbells probably weight 130 lbs together.   I hooked up the harness and towed it 2x30m.   I didn't want to do more because of my sore ham but it is definitely a good option for strength.  Its hard in the first few steps but after that, momentum takes over and it's easier, providing good resistance.  

I have been loading on creatine supplements to see if it would help my strength output as I'm beginning to increase my resistance workouts.  It has caused me to gain weight which is likely water retention.  I went into today's workout at 141.5 lbs, about 2 lbs higher than yesterday.   I was drinking a lot of water and juice yesterday and last night.  I've heard some anecdotal references to a relationship to creatine and muscle strain, but I really don't think there is science to prove it.

Anyway, the weather is horrible for the next 5 days.  Rain everyday,  with some possible breaks on Monday and Tues.  We should get at least 3" of rain this week.  Will be cloudy, cold, windy as well.  The road to Poland is not paved in comfort and ease.  

140.9 lbs after workout.

4 comments:

  1. Bummer about the hammy. Your body tolerates training well I would fall apart doing what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good. https://journals.lww.com/acsm-healthfitness/Fulltext/2019/07000/EPOC__IS_IT_REAL__DOES_IT_MATTER_.6.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUMMARY

    For EPOC to be a relevant point of emphasis in terms of weight loss, it needs to provide a considerable contribution to the EE of an exercise bout. EPOC has been shown to make a measurable, but relatively small, contribution to the overall EE of an exercise bout for most types of training. Several methodological factors play a role in EPOC studies, which make it difficult to draw firm conclusions regarding the duration and magnitude of EPOC for different types of exercise. However, our findings lead us to the following conclusions regarding the EE of EPOC:

    EE of EPOC for a typical MICE session seems to be minimal, lasting less than 1 hour and equating to 15 kcal to 20 kcal.
    EE of EPOC for HIIT and SIT is greater than MICE but in regard to total EE is not thought to contribute to energy balance any more than continuous aerobic exercise.
    EE of EPOC for traditional RT is minimal, but RT programs that focus on eliciting muscular damage (e.g., eccentric centered training) may contribute significantly to energy balance.
    Although EPOC responses for interval training and muscular damage centered RT can be significant, these types of training may be too demanding and not well tolerated for sedentary, less trained individuals.
    The focus of EE for exercise should remain on the EE during exercise rather than EPOC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although it is a real phenomena there is a lot of mythology around it, probably profit driven.

    ReplyDelete