Wednesday, January 11, 2023

3x250, new shoe test

About 53º, occasional mist and SE winds at the Sewanee track.  I did race pace today and tried the new Hoka Crescendo MD spikes.  In each of 3x250m, I used a different shoe.  As usual, all sprints were rolling start.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2x100m, bands

Adidas trainers on

50m - 7.12

250m - 34.54 (12.85, 14.03, 7.66 / 26.88, 7.66)

Hoka Crescendo spikes on

250m - 33.90 (12.74, 13.63, 7.53 / 26.37, 7.53)

Nike MaxFly spike on

250m - 35.06 (13.06, 14.03, 7.97 / 27.09, 7.97)

I took generous but not complete rest between intervals.  Obviously fatigued by the time I ran #3, and these were definitely faster than race pace for my present level of fitness, especially #2.  These times are on par with what I was doing in '21, but I was able to do 4x then, probably with less effort.

Hoka Crescendo MD spikes review

These spikes are designed as an entry level middle distance spike with a forefoot pad.  Half the price of most elite spikes.  I usually wear size 6.5 in racing spikes but I bout these in 7 thinking I would probably just train in them.  Now I'm thinking I may race with them on Sunday.  Wearing them today without socks, they are extremely comfortable, and the extra half size gives me a little bigger foot print without feeling loose.  I was really surprised at how well I felt in these.  The second 100m of my 250 was particularly fine.  I felt I could maintain speed with less effort and I felt as if I were running taller.  Running the first 200m in a rolling 26.37, not completely full out like an open 200, was pretty fast under the circumstances.  Unlike what I posted before, checking again, there is a weight difference.    These spikes are slightly heavier than the MaxFlys by about 0.6 oz or 17 grams, fairly negligible.  (At first I thought they were the same, but I was weighing the MaxFlys with a sock stuffed  in the shoe).   But still, at 5.85 oz, quite light.  Both my previous shoe, the Pumas and the MaxFlys come in at about 5.25 oz.  So, the Maxflys with socks are about the same as the Hokas without.  However, I did wear the Maxflys without socks today and they were OK, but certainly not as comfy as the Hokas.  Enough machinations about weight, an ounce won't make a difference.  The question is, will the comfort and tallness of running in the Hokas outweigh the bounce from the Maxflys?  It might.  This is just a first impression.  The comfort also comes in terms of the forefoot pad, in addition to the overall feel of the shoe.  It definitely feels good in full stride.  

Friday, I'll try them with blocks, maybe indoors if the weather is bad.  

138.0 lbs after workout.  I don't need to be any lighter.  






No comments:

Post a Comment