Sunday, February 9, 2020

Track and turf

Low 50ºs and windy on the Sewanee track this afternoon.   Happy to be healthy again, but today reminded me that 400m training is a painful business. 
Hoka trainers on 
300m warmup, stretches, drill 
3 x 300m w/ 2:15 min rest - 48, 49.5, 52.5 (track) 
6 x 150m w/ 50 sec rest ~ 25 (turf)
When in top shape I can sometimes do 4 x 300m w/ 2min rest at 49.   That has been my goal for much of my masters career, but most workouts, I've fallen short of that mark, even when in shape.  I think I've only exceeded a 49 avg a few times over 4x w/ 2 min rest. 

This was my first set of 300s in a year+ and it reminded me how hard 300 repeats are, especially with limited rest.  To ease into this, I decided on 3, but not to compromise that much on speed or rest.  It was very hard, there would have been NO chance I could have done a 4th.  The 3rd took me to my knees, although the first was pretty easy.    Perhaps next time, I'll ease off on the speed, and add a bit more rest in the interest of volume and try to get 4.  Definitely a painful business. 

I finished with some easy turf running, nothing fast.  Overall 1800m, decent volume. 

I did my track stuff with the Clifton 1s today. On Friday, I applied this stuff called Shoe Goo to try and shore up the part of the sole that wears.  First application was fairly successful.  It didn't peel off and I'm going to build up that spot with another layer.  Hopefully it will give these great shoes more longevity. 

I was in the gym Friday night for a glute superset, and Sat night for a light ab and hip flexor workout.  Calves are still a little sore from the Wed stadium stairs!

A lb heavier than last workout, probably due to the partying last week at Guitar Fest.
145.5 lbs after workout. 

This coming week looks a lot like last week.  Rain all week and turning cold by Friday.  I may try to get a track workout in mid day Tues., then again Friday. 

We had a surprise snow in Sewanee Saturday morning, it was really enchanting, especially with my Guitar Festival performances over.  Awesome weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment