Monday, February 10, 2020

Rainy day musings...

Good recovery day, slept a lot and feel like I'll be good to go for a light weight workout tonight and track tomorrow if the rain stops.

Here's a couple thoughts on various things...


Shoes:

My Clifton 1s are the best training shoe I've ever used.  7.1 ounces, good traction, responsive, and protective.  The soles have a combination of white soft foam with patches of more durable green rubber.  The problem is that the soft foam wears very quickly, especially where I strike near the outside of my foot.  I built up the wear area with a liquid rubber product called Shoe Goo, and it seems to be working.  Here is a photo of what I'm talking about.  Both the same shoe, one new, the other used with the glue product added.

The used shoe has the red tint from the track and I've added a second coat to the circled area on right, and a first coat to the circled area on left.  I think it's going to help these shoes last a lot longer.  The circled white areas are very soft and spongy, which gives this shoe it's great spring and shock absorption.

We'll have to see how it wears over time.







Competition, not getting any easier 

Looks like Ron, Mike F., and Ben are already laying down some great early season M60 indoor times.  Ron ran a 58.23 in Jan. on a flat 200m track.  He's #1 M60 indoor right now, Mike F. at 58.8 also on a flat 200m track, and Ben at 59.1.  By July, these guys will be fast.  Add Tyrone, Jim, and others, it'll be a very competitive Nationals.  Trevor has run 57.7 in Australia's outdoor season, now leading the M60 world.  Many other Aussies and Jon. W from the UK will make the Toronto meet a challenge.  Benoit, Gerhard, and others have yet to make their presence known, but will likely appear on the world scene.  Don and Alan are likely to be smokin' in the 200m by Nationals. I may or may not run the 200m, especially at Worlds due to the f'd up schedule.

One good thing about this is that if we can organize it, the M60 indoor and maybe outdoor relay records should fall.  Anselm just broke the indoor M60 800m WR, and with him, and any of these guys above, the M60 indoor 4x4 record will be gone... it's only 3:58.03, a 59.5 average.  The outdoor record possibly as well, 3:51.33, a 57.8 avg.  I also think the 4x1 and indoor 4x2 WRs could be had by the right team in the right venue.  For indoor, I'd say Armory 2021.  Still bitter about that WR we ran in the 4x200m that was taken away from us due to an officials' error (that did not give us any time advantage).  That 1:37.88 was more than 1.5 seconds faster than the listed WR of 1:39.40, and would have stood for a long time.  We averaged 24.47 a leg... indoors.

Training going forward

Looking back at my previous pre championship training cycles, 2015 and 2017... I did a huge amount of foundation and volume in 2015.  Over distance 800s, 600s, 500s, and 400s for about 5 weeks in April - May.  In 2017, before Korea, a lot of tempo work, 300s and 400s with limited rest, and long 'split intervals,' hills, and event runs.  I'll probably lean more toward the '17 training cycle with the tempo runs with gradually increasing speed and less rest.  It's going to hurt if I think I can just dive into 4x3s w/ 2m, and 2x4x2 w/1min and run what I usually do, so I'm going to try and lessen the speed and increase rest and work my way back up, otherwise it will be an exercise in torture and frustration, well... it's always torture, regardless.  I'm leaning against the 300m hurdles, I think it may be just too risky and too hard to learn.

Schedule

I'm probably only going to run 3 meets this season before Nationals and Worlds.  I might add another if it fits my schedule, like maybe the AL or GA assoc.  We'll see.  I thought about running Sewanee 4/19, but my student scheduled his Sr. Recital that night.  I'm really gunning for Nationals at the Armory in '21.  I'm hoping to continue good training through the fall and improve from what I run this summer.  Of course, being uninjured is #1.

May 16 - Nashville masters
May 24 - Atlanta relays
May 30 - USATF GA Association
June 20-21 - Nashville Sr Games
July 9-11 - USATF Nationals
July 20 - Aug 1 - WMAC Toronto



No comments:

Post a Comment