Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy 2020

Time flies.  Hard to believe it's been 15 months since I've raced or run in spikes.  But... I'm optimistic that I'll be back to regular track workout by month's end.

Yesterday, I got a steroid injection in my plantar, which I should have done weeks ago.  I had been off the track 2 weeks now so the plantar fasciitis had improved but the injury was still slightly noticeable.  I'm expecting the injection and 2 more weeks off the track will take care of it.  So, I've scheduled my first track workout for Jan 13ish, depending on how it feels.   In order to get this treatment on New Year's eve, I had to drive 90 miles to Nashville and meet with my foot doc's PA.  She was fine and the shot was easy.  Out of an abundance of caution, she suggested wearing a boot for 10 days to prevent any chance of rupture, but that was obviously overkill.  A physician friend confirmed that he thought the boot was unnecessary.  But the PA said biking would be ok.    I'm going to go a week without any weight bearing exercise including bike to be safe.

There is a risk to injections: tendon ruptures after steroid injections are statistically only about 4% and tend to afflict the obese, female, and those who have had more than 2 injections.  This was my second, but my first was a low dose and 2 yrs ago.  I also read that the plantar is thinned by 14% on average after 12 weeks, and presumably weakened by steroids.  I would assume my risk is higher being an almost 60 yr old sprinter.  That's another reason to not train in spikes and keep block work to a minimum for the next 4 months.  I'll probably start running this month on the artificial turf to avoid running turns.  It's probably possible to run 150s diagonally in a line across the full length of the turf surface.

The last time I had a steroid injection, I ran on it after 3 days.  I also reinjured it racing a 200m on a flat track in lane 2 at indoor nationals in '18.  It was my 3rd of 3 races.   That may have been a minor facia rupture, as I couldn't run for 5 weeks.  I did fully recover after about 2 months.

Anyway... I will hold off on the squats and stairmaster for the next week.  I'll get in the pool for some water running if open, and I'll do weights.  Glute/hip machine will be ok and maybe rowing and then biking.

I do realize it'll be like starting over. 


2 comments:

  1. Hypotenuse calculator suggests more like 130 meters going diagonal across a standard stadium field

    ReplyDelete