Wednesday, January 15, 2020

glute superset, bike, walk

It's been unseasonably warm for mid January in Sewanee, around 60º past few days.  Yesterday afternoon I did my usual bike circuit but got a flat and had to walk 2.5 miles home.  One of the great things about Sewanee is that there is a bike shop right in town. I got home from my walk, put my bike on my car, and was back home with a new tire in 30 minutes.  Then, last night I did my biggest glute set...
Dynamic stretches
Glute machine: 2x375 reps: 50, 5x35, 50, 50, 50 w/ 350lbs, each side
So, why all the emphasis on this one machine?  I think it best replicates the motion of striking the ground as one does in sprinting, and it's fast twitch, explosive, and it doesn't engage the knee.   Today, when I go back, I'll get hip flexors, ads, and abds.

After Monday's running, aside from light soreness in the feet, I did feel some soreness in the quads so I need to strengthen those hip flexors and extenders.

Colder weather is coming, daily highs in 40ºs by Fri, 30ºs by Mon.  I'm hoping to do running workouts on Fri and Tues.  I hope I can resume running workouts with 3 days rest in between.  It's been a really nice 7 week vacation, but next week it's back to work and doing some performing. 

Just under 145 lbs this morning.


3 comments:

  1. Let me provide a 'cautionary note'.... I don't know if this applies, but your body is comprised of 'primary mover' muscles and 'antagonistic' muscles (to the same movement) I.E. 'quads and hams'. I suggest you look into this phenomena respecting the 'glute' emphasis you've been doing. A significant 'pratfall' to physical activity is training in such a way as to strengthen 'opposing musculature' and creating an OUT OF BALANCE situation respecting strength where as such a condition can result in injury to the 'opposing muscle' group of the 'over strengthened' primary (glutes). I wonder if 'lower abs' and/or 'hip flexors' might become AT RISK to 'super strengthened' gluts. I'm sure you know that the 'gluteus maximus' is the largest and strongest muscle in the human body even untrained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glutes will always be stronger than the hip flexors. The glutes are the primary weight bearing movers as you said, the hip flexors simply return the leg to front. It's a combination of muscles. The so called glute machine I use is far more an upper ham machine than a glute machine. Leg press and squats more activate the glutes.

      I can push 350 lbs forever with the glutes - many sets of 35-50, but only do sets of 25 with 215 lbs with hip flexors (although glute work with gravity - down, while hip flexors work against - up).

      Some sprint coaches are recommending shallow squats/leg press as opposed to 90º and deep squats. For me easier on the knees and probably closer to the angle of strike when running.

      But, point taken. I tore my hip flexor in '15 in a race, shortly after beginning use of this machine, but that was probably as much due to lack of prep and cold weather.

      Delete
  2. Sprinting and cycling will strengthen across the range of hip flexor quads and hams. Potentially providing an overall balance. There are endless debates about whether deadlifts squats etc are best for sprinting and little concensus amongst athletes and coaches. In my opinion the greatest contributor to injuries are excess volume and poor posture technique.
    The posture question can be logically addressed by weights that model a running style or pushing motion. Which may be where Bill is coming from and why I like the leg press.

    ReplyDelete