Sunday, May 20, 2018

shake out & speed

After a rainstorm, I went to the Marist school for a light workout.  It was nicely cool, low 70ºs with an occasional sprinkling of rain.  With the sun setting, steam coming off the track and the sky half dark and threatening with the sun peaking through, it made for an ethereal scene.  The track has a lightning detector on a tower that was sounding a loud horn.  A bit disconcerting ... but I proceeded to finish my warmup.  Didn't want to do anything too heavy today but I brought my race spikes and I put them on for a few brisk runs.  I meant to pace a 100m and 200m at 400m race pace from a 3 pt stance start beginning at the 400m start.  I timed each.  Surprisingly, and I was way ahead of my splits while holding just a tad back and trying to relax. Felt good.
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 200m relaxed - 27.8, 27.9 
Puma spikes on  
2 x 40m accelerations 
100m on the turn from the 400m start - 12.62 
200m on the turn from the 400m start - 25.12 
Hoka trainers on 
2 x 100m striders on grass for form
That 200m surprised me.  It wasn't a customary 3 step flying start.   It was from the line, 3 point stance.   Add 0.3 for reaction time and I'd still be below 25.5.  And... I wasn't giving it all, and without blocks.

Still undecided about the all-comers meet Tues.  It would probably be better to go out again tomorrow and train M, W, F this week since my first real race is on Sunday, and just stay out of spikes for the next few days and work hard in trainers M and W.  But my feet held up pretty well in spikes.  The real test however is full speed starts from blocks, which I did not do today.  Anyway, I'll probably not race Tues.

The ethereal Marist track ...


No comments:

Post a Comment