Saturday, March 17, 2018

2018 USATF Masters Indoor Championships - day 1

Not happy about my race today.  I had the opportunity for another National Title served up to me on a silver platter, and I generally blew it.  I can't believe this race was won in 57.9 and I couldn't even manage that.   I knew I wasn't in the best shape, with these foot issues, but I generally took my training seriously and put a lot of effort into it.  But, sometimes the result is just not commensurate with the pain and effort.  Perhaps this is the beginning of my downward slide.  James warned me of this, he said the time will come where we just can't do the same workouts, or run as fast.  I'm still stubborn to not accept that, although the foot injuries did not help.  After beginning the season with a 57 flat, then coming out and running a 58.5 today, after 2 more months of training, it's discouraging to say the least.  To get so much slower in just a year is really hard to fathom.

400m Silver Medal - 58.57

Yes, the track was slow compared to Vandy or a banked 200m track.  Generally about a second slower.  Still, I've run mid-low 57s on tracks like this, so maybe I'm not too far off.

I keep reminding myself of Gerhard's breakout performance as an M60 in Perth when he ran 55.05 / 24.65.  I just hope I have that in me if I can get healthy and train the way I need to.  But it may not be enough.  My zeal for competition probably has robbed me of some longevity in this sport and is taking a toll.  I think this is about my 105th meet since I started running Masters.   That's a lot.  53 college meets after age 50.

The Race
Humphreys, the guy that beat me today, I knew was capable, as he ran a 55.6 last yr outdoor, but he's 59 yrs old and he's never run under 58 indoor before today, and he didn't use blocks and had his knee taped.   So he was surprising.  Marcus was not in shape and didn't medal.

I felt a significant disadvantage in lane 6, running totally blind.   I went out fairly conservative in 27 for the first 200, but still easily won the break.  On the back stretch of the second 200, I relaxed a bit too much and looked around a bit.  I was really expecting Marcus to pass me, but he was no where.  I should have tried to build a lead at that point but I didn't and Humphreys tucked in behind me and passed me coming off the last turn.  I didn't rig up, I probably could have pushed it a bit more but I was seriously afraid of rigging hard like I did in my previous meet when I went out in 26.

I need to remind myself of 2014 when I went to Boston and competed in all 3 sprints and didn't medal.  I need to remind myself that the journey is important and winning isn't everything.

The age group below mine is particularly competitive, and I was happy to see John Curtis win his first National Title.  He ran an amazing 55.18 which on this track would be like running sub 54 outdoor.

I think I've been spoiled in that since '12, I've run in 9 National Championship 400m races, won 5 Gold and 3 Silver.  That's not a bad string.

This was a pretty weird day, my hotel went on lockdown with a domestic dispute that required a SWAT team and even rerouting traffic.  It was really crazy.  I did not leave my room after the police told me to go, if I had, I would have missed my race entirely.   One of my teammates Wally had that happen to him.

After my race I hung out at the track meet and talked with my track friends and watched the meet.  Afterward we went out to the Peruvian chicken place across the street and I ate an uncharacteristically huge meal.  I almost feel like I was giving up.  I seriously doubt I'll do much in the 200m and my hips and feet are hurting.   Definitely scratching from tomorrow's 60m race, so I have a day to recover.


My Peruvian friends, Roxanne and Lucho
Anyway, it's good to be here and see my track family.

1 comment:

  1. As ever, you did your best and were kind to your friends and your competitors as well. Can’t ask for more!!

    ReplyDelete