Wednesday, April 22, 2015

tempo 400s +

The usual ball buster tempo 4x4, but only the last one was super hard.   Still not close to 100% yet, I estimate it'll be at least 2 weeks before I can safely sprint 200m race speed, depending on how much strengthening therapy I can get. Probably more like 3 weeks before I can do spikes and blocks.  As with most sprint injuries, it's not lifting the load, it's the quick change of direction that stresses the injury, eccentric movement.

Warm, not hot and partly cloudy, 72º at the Dean Hayes Track.
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
4 x 400m w/ 2 min rest - 69, 70, 72, 79 
300m - 47 
100m - 14.5   
Felt ok, still feel the injury although I tested it only slightly with the 2 shorter sprints at the end.

Equipment
First workout in Brooks.  I just bought some new training shoes, Brooks Ghost 7.  Thanks to Bethany at Fleet Feet.   (She is the cutest!)  Instead of buying the highest rated shoe by mail, I patronized my local running store and bought what they had in my size after trying on a few things.  I think it's good to give them business - (even though I now see these $120 shoes online for $76.)   I offered to host their speed training group at MTSU.  Unfortunately, don't think there are any sprinters in the group.

I'm really not picky about training shoes as much as spikes (maybe I should be?)  The shoes had excellent traction, with small rubber treads on the bottom, as opposed to bands or just a pattern.  I'm sure they'll be good in the wet.   The shoe was comfortable but a little high in the arch and I really had to tighten them a lot to keep the forefoot stable.  My retired Saucony Ride's lasted almost 10 months and bear the the marks of sprint training.  Interesting to see how they've worn on the outside to the point of rubber coming off in chunks, yet the heel looks almost new.  These seem a little better cushioned on the outside where I need it than the Sauconys.  My right little toe has been getting punished on the turns.





No comments:

Post a Comment