Sunday, February 16, 2014

Speed endurance 500s

Great weather to work.  Low 50sº and light breezes this afternoon at Sewanee's Coughlan track.

This one hurt.  Maybe because I put out a lot on the first 2, and a little sluggish from yesterday's long sleep and an herbal sleep aid.
400m warmup, stretches, drill 
Saucony spikes on 
4 x 500m - 80, 81, 84, 86.5  
Workouts like this leave me asking myself, "why am I killing myself?"  Actually, I'm in a pretty good place physically.  My usual aches are subsiding and I did this workout at an avg. of 82.875, in the top 3 or 4 times of similar workouts.   Actually faster than the workout preceding my 400m pr in 2012.

Weight is good, about 141.4 after workout.

Will do some resistance tonight while watching the Olympics.

The early deadline for Nationals is approaching.  Haven't made a commitment.   I noticed Sunder Nix, a former Olympic Gold Medalist and 1983 US National 400m Champion, a new comer to masters track in my age group, and is signed up to compete in Boston.   He ran only 57.7 last year but he seeded himself at 54.

Very competitive age group.

UPDATE:
I went back and checked... my last weekends 200m time was my second fastest indoors, just .05 off my indoor PR from 2012.  I could have gotten that PR if I didn't run the 400m first.  

I need to get that state meet 200m record for M50 in June ... it's presently 25.7 (h).   The 100m record will be tough to beat on that shitty track: 12.32, but I intend to enter all 3 sprints for the state games, my last yr in M50.





No comments:

Post a Comment