Saturday, February 15, 2014

Southern Miss Cupid Classic - meet report

A solid performance, but no PRs.  Not the breakout meet that I had hoped for.  A small improvement from last race on this track.  I guess I shouldn't have expected much with only one good workout this week.

400m - 56.62
200m - 25.48

This was a huge meet with some elites in the 400m.  16 heats of the 400m, 19 heats of the 200m.   There were even more women's heats.   I was in the last heats, the slowest... naturally.  I actually beat one guy in my heat of the 200m.

Warming up, I just happened to blast out of the blocks at same time as Andretti Bain, an elite.   I kinda 'raced him' for several strides before he noticed me and hit that 'gear' (that I don't have).  I then saw the bottoms of his feet accelerating away from me.  Makes me wish I had worked hard in college and developed my speed.  I should have been able to hit the mid 22s in the 200m.

The 400m Elites ...
Calvin Smith Jr. smokes the guys from the islands in 46.88

400m

Lane 3.  Decent start, went out fast, maybe a bit too fast.  May have hit the 200m a tad under or right at 26.  It was a fast and full heat.  Everyone was 52-53s.   I didn't feel as strong at the end as last race here, and was much more tired.  I did improve slightly (.07) but I didn't bring it at the end.   My second 200m was probably over 30 sec.  Nevertheless, my second fastest indoor 400m, and 3rd ranked in the M50 USA Masters Rankings.

Was really tired after that race.  I actually dozed off in the bleachers for a few minutes in between races.  I needed every bit of rest.   I didn't think I have enough to bring to the 200m.

200m 

Lane 6. Good start.  Felt strong to the end, and coming off the bank in the outside lane helped my end game.  It was a real race, there was one guy slightly ahead and one behind, besides the winner way out in front.  Despite my fatigued state from the 400m, it was a better improvement from the previous outing (compared with the 400m) ... 0.21 sec., which moved me up in the M50 USA Masters Rankings to 3rd.  It was my 3rd fastest indoor 200m.


I was happy to see one other Masters athlete there: Sonja Friend-Uhl, and she is truly elite - a World Champion in the W40 1500m and 800m.  Running an impressive 4:54 mile, she took second in the meet ! .. at age 43.   That's a 69 sec. 400m pace, which I can't maintain 4x even with 2 min rest in between.   Impressive.
  


Me on the other hand.... hey look!   I beat someone.






































The meet dragged on forever, I hadn't eaten all day save for some gel pouches and juice. I must have been below 140 since I was 141.2 when I got up this morning.  Between the Crossplex and the I-65 is a pretty rough neighborhood.  So, on my way out of Birmingham, driving through 'the hood' ... I stopped at a neighborhood fish place and got 4 filets of fried whiting.  It was cool.  Hangin' with the locals, getting their recommendations on 'what's good'.  Tasty.  And, to my credit, I threw away the french fries, well... most of 'em.

Fried fish from 'the hood' ....


No comments:

Post a Comment