Thursday, October 3, 2013

back to it

Summer is still hangin' on, 69º this morning at 6:45 am on the Dean Hayes track.  Moist and cloudy.  My shoes squeaked on the wet track.   I resumed tempo endurance and it was as hard as ever but not slower than before, surprising since I haven't done this workout in more than a week and I've not been eating well.

 Saucony Virrata trainers on
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
4 x 400m with 2 min rest - 67, 69, 74, 79 
200m - 28.5
Lesson learned
This weekend, I ate all the stuff (in small amounts) that I've been avoiding all during competition ... pasta, potatoes, bread, desserts, white rice, cereal, etc...  and it affected me in a really bad way.   I developed an acid stomach, bad sleep, lack of energy requiring afternoon naps which I emerged from very groggy.   It's no way to live.   After ballooning up to 147 lbs at one point, I was happy to emerge unscathed from the binge, weighing 141.8 after today's workout.   Moral of the story, eating shitty is no way to go through life, especially at my age.  Not worth the momentary buzz.  And... occasional binges and treats are ok, as long as you don't do it more than 2 days in a row and the quantity is not huge.

Off time
I was pretty active during my time off.  On Monday, hiked the Firey Gizzard Loop which is a notoriously hard 10 mile hike through very rugged terrain with a lot of up and down.  It took Roya and I  almost 5 hrs.  Also did a short hike on Sunday.

Almost missed Saturday's meet.
On Saturday, I had a busy weekend planned.  Race in Brentwood and a weekend project in Sewanee.  I was happy to have fit all the tools, luggage, backpack, guitar and roofing material for my project into my car.  Driving my truck would be expensive on gas, so I was happy everything fit in my car.    I left for the meet 15 min later than I wanted to.  When backing the car out, I ripped the  sidewall on my tire and had to transfer all that stuff to my truck.   I left over 30 min late.  Fortunately, the meet was running late and I had enough time to warm up for the 100m.  (Those stock tires were bald anyway.  I ended up spending $541 on a set of 90,000 mile Michelins for the car).

Forward
Coach Page thinks I should get 4 weight workouts a week.  Traditional, w/ free weights, 2 days legs, 2 days upper body.  If I am to get faster, I do need to do something different.  He thinks I should take a break from the track and do less.  And build toward another peak during the season.   Not sure where to go, but think 2 day a week on the track and at least 2 days a week on weights might be good.  I could probably go back to stadium stairs and weight sled as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment