Wednesday, January 17, 2024

frozen in, schedule change


Yesterday, I drove around Sewanee for some sightseeing.  I opened the gate to Brakefield Rd and drove into the woods.  The snow was at it's heaviest, coming down in huge flakes.  



The trees were encrusted in ice, beautiful against the blue sky.   It got up to about 12ºF during the day.



Jumpoff Rd., Sewanee




Then I drove to the track, was surprised to see the Lacrosse coach and team shoveling snow off the field.  They had almost half of it done.  Hopefully, they'll do all of it so I can use the field if not the track.



I was determined to do something so I tried riding my mountain bike.   Snow too crusty.   So then I did 5 x 75m sprints up my driveway.   Felt bad, foot sore.  Probably due to the cold since it was 10º, bad footing, and all that wood hauling on Sunday.

My driveway



So, I registered for the KMS meet in Birmingham on Sunday.  I'm likely not going to the Jan 28, Coach Miami meet.   With poor training conditions this week, I doubt I will be able to improve my time from the faster Vandy track, but it will give me a chance to race against some low level college guys, unlike Vandy where I raced some of the best.  Sewanee's team will be there and maybe I'll meet the new coach.  It's the first meet of the season for many of them so there will be slow guys in this mostly DIII meet.   Last year, there were 6 who ran over a minute, quite a low level for collegiate men.  

One big question is health and fitness.  Roya came back from her trip last night with COVID.  1st time.  I may have been exposed.  She knew she was sick so we kept our distance so I'm hoping for the best.   I've never had covid so I really never want to get it.  I tested negative yesterday because I wanted to make sure I didn't get it at Vandy.  I'll test again in the next days.  Feel fine now. 

The Fowler center is open, I will go there for a workout today.  If the field is clear, I may do a tempo set of 100 repeats on turf.  Still in the mid to upper teens, but sunny, light winds.   Fowler has some of those wheeled weight sleds so I'll bring my harness, do some strength and speed. 

I was happy to hear fellow M63 masters Duane D. was granted permission to race at Vandy this weekend, even though he had to withdraw due to injury.  He said he's had some very good communication with the coach and she doesn't seem too hostile to masters competitors.   He told me he cited my example of running there, so I guess the new coach is aware of us masters now.    If I had known, I would have also requested permission for this weekend because I love that track, and will race there every chance I get.  

Still light.  138 this morning.  




3 comments:

  1. I'm shocked that some of the college guys can't break 60, even at a d3 school. At my d3 school (40 years ago) the slowest guys were around 54-55 and they rarely ran in meets. Most guys were in low 50's with top 2-3 sub-50. These guys today must be really slow or hardly training at all. I suspect the latter. Heck, we used to do repeat 400's at sub-60!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first indoor meet for most and this is not unusual. Some are cross country guys that the coach makes run the 400m even though they can't sprint, just do it for a workout. Many are just undertrained. Last year out of 25, only 7 ran under 52. Half were 55+. Indoor is also slower than outdoor, of course, but it is a good 200m banked track. I ran 55.68 on this track in my mid-50s.

      Delete
    2. A friend posted a photo of herself at age 64 racing in a DIII college meet yesterday. Leads me to believe DIII college track is especially slow in the NE. An astonishing of 39 of 68 college male sprinters in the 200m were over 25.00. 10 of 41 were over 59 in the 400m, 8 over a minute. You want to see a slow college meet, check out the results of yesterday's meet in Ursinus Collge in PA: https://pa.milesplit.com/meets/590584-2024-collegeville-classic-2024/results

      Delete