Thursday, January 11, 2024

200s in spikes, 100, blocks

Today by far will be the best and warmest day in the foreseeable future.  53º, sunny, light to calm winds, beautiful training weather.   Beginning tomorrow night, the bottom drops out with 2 successive cold fronts with that will plunge lows to the single numbers by Tues night, with snow expected Mon.  Beginning Sat night, it will remain below freezing for at least 4 days with daytime highs only in the mid-upper teens on Tues.  May have to use the indoor track for one or 2 workouts.  

Wanted to work on my race form today in spikes.  The biggest challenge in the next meet, as usual, to not chase the kids and go out too fast.  Today felt good, but it was too fast.  I tried to replicate a first 200m at race pace.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 2x100m

Hoka Rocket X2s on

100m - 13.10

Adidas Prime SPs spikes

200m (rolling) - 26.50 (12.75, 13.75)

2 x block starts 

200m (from blocks) - 26.35 (13.06, 13.29)

I was surprised the second 200m from blocks was faster than the first.   I really tried to stretch it out on the second 100m and my splits were a little better.  So many things I need to remind myself when racing.  

Was going to do more but decided to save my foot, which has been feeling better.  This was a bit of a confidence builder.  Although I won't be within 50m of the slowest college guy on Saturday, if I pace correctly, I should break 59.   

I came a click away from registering for the Sunday meet in Birmingham.  Was thinking about going down there to run the 200m, if I got a good lane.  But a day after a 400m, probably not a great idea.  I already threw away $39 when I registered for the Dec meet and didn't go.  

Interesting how so many of my aches and pains go away when I get this light and fit.  From the arthritis in my foot, to the arthritis in my thumbs.  Also, interesting how much easier it is to run fast.  

137.7 lbs after workout, season low.  I'm probably 9 or 10% body fat at this point.  






No comments:

Post a Comment