Friday, December 29, 2023

cold tempo, 2x4x150m on turf

Yesterday, I did a hard climb up Roark's Cove rd in just over 21 min.  Really put out.  

Today was one of those dark winter days, but I've seen worse.   34º, N breeze, snow flurries, wet track, cloudy and dark... so I decided to do tempo on turf.   After warmup, still ok for shorts, T, and gloves.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 100m, bands, 50m

4x150m w/ 30 sec rest ~ avg 24.4

10 min rest

4x150m w/ 30 sec rest ~ avg 25.2

For the first set, the wind quieted down so it didn't feel too bad.  Second set was not complete recovery, HR still about 114 to start.  I'm feeling in pretty good shape as I can sprint a 150 in 23 sec and it's easy, don't really feel any fatigue til 10-15 sec after I stop.  This still qualifies as intensive tempo because it's faster than 80% of my 400m race pace at 150m, which should be about 20.5.  (20.5/.8= 25.62). 

So, it felt ok... and I even went for a hike with Roya afterward, climbing down and back up Green's View.

Some people get confused about the term tempo.  There is 'extensive tempo' and 'intensive tempo'.  Extensive is high volume and slower.  Intensive is lower volume and at least 80% of race speed.  Both use limited rest.

For me, I can't do the volume anymore like 600s, 800s, etc... so intensive tempo is the best bang for the buck.  

I was looking back at photos from Xmas 11yrs ago, the day I swept snow off of lane one at the SV track and ran 5x600m in spikes around 1:55.   Not doing that again.   

I'm light.   140.1 lbs after workout.   No more chocolate or nut snacking.

Next workout is better weather, sunny 50º but some wind on Sunday.  

Update:  I'm booked for USATF Masters Nationals in Chicago in March.  Got the flight, car, and hotel for under a grand, not bad.    

No comments:

Post a Comment