Saturday, December 9, 2023

300s, 100s


I had thought I might try a time trial Friday, but I decided not to, didn't bring my spikes.  It was a bit too windy but otherwise ok, 55º, partly sunny.   So, I tried a few 100s and 300 at race pace.  It was terrible.   I am not ready to run a sub 60 sec 400m.   Very discouraging.  I may not race next Saturday.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 100m, bands, 50m

Hoka Rocket X2s on

2 x 100m - 13.84, 13.23

300m - 44.35 (13.35, 14.53, 16.47/ 27.88, 16.47)

300m - 45.20

4 x 50m 90lb weight pulls 

Definitely started the first 100m too fast and by the 3rd 100, I was actually starting to rig up toward the end of the 300!  My form is too labored and inefficient, too much effort.  44.3 isn't terribly slow in trainers, but I should be at least a second faster with a lot less effort.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I've done almost no speed work yet.  Even the 61.1 I ran in spikes a month ago, the first 300m was only 44.41.   Adjusting for spikes, 44.35 would be like ~ 43.7.   Still slow.  Maybe just a bad day.  I was on my feet all day the previous day winterizing my boat and moving firewood, so maybe a bit of fatigue.  I don't know.  But anyway,  I ran one more with more even splits then did some weight pulls with the harness.  

I could go down there and run a 200m next weekend, but a little spooked about that.  It was this meet 2 yrs ago that I injured by proximal ham running a 200m that took me out of the sprints for the season, (I ran the 800m instead that yr, ugh!).  

I just need more speed and technical work along with the conditioning.  My 100m times suggest I have the speed I need but more speed endurance and speed reserve is needed.   I need to be comfortably running at least a 43.5 300m.  My 300m split at Nationals when I ran my season best 400m (57.59) was at least 42, maybe 41.8.  

Training in ATL now.  Weather is a problem tomorrow, rain most of the day but may be able to get out near sunset.  Tues looks to be ok, but still cool, low 50ºs, less wind than yesterday.   Maybe I'll put the spikes on and try a 400m on Tues then decide on Sat's meet. 

140.4 lbs after workout.



5 comments:

  1. Check figure 3 graph for athlete 1. 10 mmol =186 and 12 = 216. They go one to say some in this group have glucose tolerance issues. Athletes aren’t immune unfortunately. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1932296816648344

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is figure 3 athletes 1-5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a reason for your obsession with this matter ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) want to continue my lifestyle (ride well on expert MTB trails, skate ski well on expert Nordic ski trails) but gluconeogenesis + insulin secretion deficiency is a threat to doing it without causing harm. GP’s are pretty much useless so I had to teach myself. As a result I’ve had testing (pushed the GP) that identified the issue and prescribed a CGM which identifies patterns so I can lower BG.
      2) my issue seems to be more common than realized in the athlete cohort as illustrated by that study. William’s data (finger stick BG) exhibits similar gluconeogenesis response, suggesting such intense exercise triggers it even for the apparently healthy subjects. I suspect it is age related and older pancreas secretion is just not as effective.
      3. William claims interest in longevity and health. So he should be aware that his method of optimizing training for sub 60 second 400 meters has a trade off - an unhealthy BG response.
      4. I’ve listened to many rants from William about others who have unhealthy lifestyles but take no action on them. Ironically both he and I have this intense training lifestyle that has an unhealthy downside in generating hyperglycemia. If we continue on without trying to correct it, how are we any different than an overweight person who won’t exercise or lose weight? Does having a goal to be the fastest or my goal to be a competent skier/mountain biker absolve us from taking action on unhealthy behaviors? At the very least the risks and trade offs need to be understood. Well about to ski, hopefully my BG won’t spike so high today.

      Delete
  4. "If you’re tracking your glucose using a CGM, you might be worried by an apparent glucose rise during high-intensity exercise. You shouldn’t be. Despite the acute rise in glucose, high-intensity training actually improves both fasting glucose and insulin sensitivity over time. Both of these adaptations lead to better metabolic flexibility and glucose control.

    During intense exertion, our stress hormones tell the liver to release stored glycogen into the bloodstream and to produce new glucose from available sources to fuel the fight or flight that's occurring! Thus, it is not unusual to see a rise in your blood glucose during a high-intensity workout. This rise is an indication that you are mobilizing your stored glycogen (meaning the workout is too intense for your body to rely primarily on fat and needs to use glucose as fuel). This is a completely different physiological response than eating a cookie that spikes your glucose and causes insulin resistance; exercise related spikes are associated with enhanced long term insulin sensitivity, which is a good thing! "

    https://support.levelshealth.com/article/47-exercise-spikes

    ReplyDelete