Tuesday, October 3, 2023

gym

Tonight, did the stairmaster for 20min.  Heart rate generally in the 140s, reaching a max of 150 on the highest hills.  Then jumped right on the rower for a 1:58 500m sprint.  I really felt it. Can still feel soreness in my legs from the stairs 4 days ago.  Also did some adductors and eccentric leg curls.

Stairmaster - 20 min - hill program, level 13

1 min rest

500m row 1:58

Will try a track workout on Fri, and if I get on the boat on Sunday, a bike climb up the big hill. 

I hope to start doing more cross training.

Annual physical w/ Dr. tomorrow.  Will drive him crazy with questions. 

Interestingly, my total T tested quite low, 350.  Probably because I didn't sleep well.  Last year, I did a brief squat workout before going in and my T tested at 668, but that probably also caused my high glucose reading.   These T tests are sooo variable.  Really wide swings.   

So much abuse of T among men over 50.  Seems like a redneck thing, artificially pushing T levels way beyond natural.   I think it's a product of the recent conservative preoccupation with gender roles, LGBTs, etc...  there seems to be an emergence of many 'transition stories' of men who've been fat for decades trying to affirm their masculinity and using T.   Most of these pseudo-masculine guys are long on talk, posturing, bulk, and appearance... but short on any significant athletic performance or achievement.   I see them on these FB fitness groups, posing, flexing their biceps, touting their 'fitness.'  Most of them look so old for their age.  

I would say, stay the hell away from T injections unless you test repeatedly below 180, have symptoms, and have made a significant effort to eat, sleep, and train well.  So many drug pushers out there in these gray-market online 'clinics' advertising on social media.   It's sick.   

Happy to be involved in a sport that drug tests.  I will never take T, statins, or any other drug unless I'm critically ill.  

2 comments:

  1. Most longevity seekers start taking statins and metformin at 50 regardless of their heart risks. Every adult over 50 has arthroscopic deposits that progress over time. Whether or not they cause mortality or morbidity depends on many factors but odds are better with cholesterol lowering drugs for anyone especially the older you are and the longer you were on them. There is a super LDL lowering drug that is an injectable with nearly zero side effects- literally takes LDL down to near single digits. But it is expensive so insurance only covers it for those who have heart disease and statins aren’t working well enough or the patient is statin intolerant. But wealthy people interested in longevity are taking it and as soon as the patent expires prescriptions will explode. Also many drugs have a proven and safer profile than supplements which are unregulated which you seem ok to take. Suggest to never say never and keep an open mind and follow the data.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a high predisposition for high LDL per my genome test, highest percentile. My LDL is usually around 120-135. 126 most recent. My brothers wife takes that shot. She is thin yet has total cholesterol of over 350 and LDL over 200.

      Delete