Friday, October 6, 2023

3x300 tempo, USATF dispute

Finally rained today about a quarter inch.  mid 60s at sunset with a cold snap coming.  Sewanee's track was busy so I went to St Andrews bleak track to get my workout in.   The track was wet.  It was my first real taste of pain in a while.  Only 3x3 but it hurt.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 100m, bands

Hoka Rocket X2s on

3 x 300m w/ 3 min rest - 50.65, 52.10, 55.6

Being so out of shape, I was worried I wouldn't even get 3, but I gutted out the 3rd.   

I must say, these Hokas are fabulous.  They are unlike any shoe I've ever worn.  The most remarkable thing is the height, the lack of ground feel, and the responsiveness.  They look like ordinary shoes, but they sure don't feel like it.   I'm sending back the Nike Vaporflys and have just purchased the new Adidas Takumi Sen 9 at a great price, half of what the Vaporflys cost.  They're coming from the UK so will be 10 days or so.  The Sen 9s are supposed to be same weight or less than Vaporflys.  

USATF copyright claim 

My 400m championship race video from USATF TV that I posted 2 yrs ago was removed and a 'copyright strike' was added to my youtube account.  I was livid.  The person that did this was Colleen Donegan, a 25 yr old kid who just passed her bar exam and is working with USATF in her first job as an attorney.  You'd think she'd have better things to do than police videos of an amateur masters track meet.

The way it works is that if you get 3 copyright strikes on your youtube account, they could ban you for LIFE.  As a musician and music educator who depends hugely on youtube, that would be tough.  I'd have to set up fake name accounts, etc... 

Yes, technically, I did violate copyright law but hell ... it's just a masters meet.  Not like I'm profiting off of someone else's work.  This video hopefully served to inspire and promote others.  Great way to grow the sport.  I had Colleen B, who is also an attorney and our Master athlete USATF rep look into it.  She confirmed it was a violation, but so f'n what?  This was my response to her:

"As a life long musician, I certainly understand the importance of copyrights. Please accept my apologies. Protecting the copyright from unauthorized use of materials is important to prevent those from profiting off of others hard work and creative endeavors. I sincerely regret this action of posting copyrighted material of this amateur sports event that I paid to enter (despite receiving no profit from it) and also regret the possibility it may have inspired others to participate or join USATF (as it was posted on social media where people without a subscription could see it). As a decades long member of USATF, I recognize we certainly don’t need to have too many paying members or participants. I’ll also remember this when I again decide if i want to continue to donate money to the USATF Foundation, as I have done in the past. Also, extend my appreciation to the young new attorney, Colleen Donegan for catching this violation. This exemplary work should be noted and highly valued by all at USATF and will hopefully serve to promote her career. Please pass this apology on to those at USATF and the Masters Track Community. Sorry to have shared this video and sorry to all who may have seen it."

Not to mention they used a video of me racing in their nationally broadcast commercial, don't recall giving them permission for that.  But, I'm sure I probably signed a waiver when I registered.   

1 comment:

  1. This will be a development opportunity for this young professional unfortunately at your expense. Perhaps the complaint to u tube can be withdrawn.

    ReplyDelete