Monday, October 23, 2023

Bike climbs, escaping disaster, planning

Incredible fall weather continues.  No rain for the next week and temperatures hitting 80º by the weekend.  I'm beginning to worry about fire.  No significant rain forecast and it has only rained a total of 1.6" in the past 10 weeks.  

I took the boat out to the river and met Bill M. for a grueling climb up Raccoon Mtn. and around the reservoir.   I repeated the climb myself today, but not as fast.  Sunday, got to the first overlook in 35 min.  Today, about 39.  

Yesterday, I escaped disaster on the highway where I had a wheel come off my boat trailer due to my failure to tighten the lugs after a flat.  I saw it and pulled over just in time.   Another close call on Sat when cutting a tree down, I grazed my shin with a moving chainsaw.  Just a superficial cut, band aid.  

The reason I was out today was to test the boat for a Friday trip to the Smokies and Fontana Lake.  Everything seemed fine, except just as I was leaving the river, I noticed my alternator failing.   Very lucky to catch this before driving 180 miles to Fontana Lake on Friday.  I pulled the bad alternator out and ordered one express, supposed to arrive Wed, so I'll be up late after work Thurs installing and testing it.  After a workout Friday, all day on my feet doing projects Sat, and bike climbs Sun and Mon, going to be tough to get a workout in tomorrow, but I'm going to try.  It'll be my last running workout for at least a week as we'll hopefully be in the Smokies hiking this weekend.  

The morning on the river was magical as always.   Nice place to have my espresso w/ milk, and teach my online class.  


1 comment:

  1. Yikes! I dropped a trailer (pulling a ATV) because I didn’t have the hitch on correctly a terrible feeling. Good thing that you caught it obviously. 6-12 inches of snow coming to Galena. If they get 12 plus I’m sure they will groom. I’ve yet to start a ski season in October so that would be a first. They (upper Wood River Valley, Sun Valley, Ketchum etc) use winter wonderland to attract rich people so they will groom if they get enough snow. The rich come and marvel at the scenery and build multi million dollar homes they are seldom at. Literally empty almost all the time. Sometimes the small airport has private jets stacked all over the place, for special events. They probably are never, or very seldom, on the trails. Works for me as they have a 5 month season with great conditions. Enjoy the lake.

    ReplyDelete