Monday, October 16, 2023

600, 300

Cloudy and about 49º at the Sewanee track with occasional light mizzle.  Track was wet in spots.  Did my first overdistance run today.  Did not go well. 

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 100m

Hoka Rocket X2s on

600m - 1:54.22 (34.78, 38.70, 40.74)

Adidas Takumi Sen 9s on

300m - 49.56

Was way short of my goals today.  Wanted to break 1:50 in the 600m, not even close.   My 400m split was a nominal 73.48 and I pretty much died in the last 200m.  I then put on the new Adidas after not full recovery, and ran a slow 49.5.  Was expecting at least 47.  My foot was feeling it a bit after yesterday's weighted squat jumps and I didn't really warm up that much.  A year ago, my first 600s were 1:48 - 1:50.  This is really going slow.  Just have to keep after it.  Will need to throw in a short speed session and another intensive tempo session before I try this again.

My poor workout was probably due to my lack of condition, cold moist weather, poor warmup, and being in the high 142's in weight when I started the workout.  142.5 lbs after workout.   

Unlike the reports I had received, the Adidas Takumi Sen 9s were not really much lighter than the Sen 8s.  Just a few grams.  At 5.7 oz, they're still very light.  

I returned the Nike VaporFly 3s to Running Warehouse and they sent me a message saying they were denying my refund due to lack of tags on the shoes.  BS.  Not only did they not have tags when I got them, there was a hair in one of the shoes.  I was pissed since I had purchased 31 pairs of shoes from this store in 15 yrs.  I called them and they refunded my money.   Geeez.   Those shoes were perfect when I sent them back.  I only ran 300m in them on the track.  Not like I went out on the road and scuffed them and wore them down.  Glad they did the right thing.  

10 comments:

  1. From previous discussion of RFD, found this open access article. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Neale-Tillin/publication/296681960_Rate_of_force_development_physiological_and_methodological_considerations/links/56d9613208aebabdb40f6e99/Rate-of-force-development-physiological-and-methodological-considerations.pdf?_tp=eyJjb250ZXh0Ijp7ImZpcnN0UGFnZSI6Il9kaXJlY3QiLCJwYWdlIjoicHVibGljYXRpb25Eb3dubG9hZCIsInByZXZpb3VzUGFnZSI6Il9kaXJlY3QifX0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting…this may (partially) explain why smaller athletes can be so quick “ The speed of force transmission through a material is influenced by the material’s stiffness: v = kx/μ, where v is the force transmission velocity, k is the material’s stiff- ness, x is the length relative to resting length, and μ is the mass:length ratio of the material. As tissue stiffness is inversely proportional to length, longer tissues (both muscles and tendons) are more compliant and force trans- mission may be slower.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, on the subject of your 600m time.
    What training (distances) have the greatest correlation to race performance ? Does the list include 600m times ? My (limited) sprinting experience is that under distance training and time trials are most beneficial. They raise the bar of possible race speed. A by product is slighty improved over distance times. Eg 500-800.However over distance is essentially a marker not a method and best done pre comp to check fitness.
    After a detraining period what matters are the meat and potato shorter reps.

    I used to recommend to the endurance runners that I coached to count back from the start of their season to now, and plan to and repeat versions of the training done in their most successful seasons.

    With that in mind do you plan to race indoors ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years I had followed the Bill Collins long to short regime. Running 600s, 800s for foundation in the fall. But now my foot can't really take the volume. So, I'm having to do less.

      Delete
    2. I'm hoping to hang on long enough to make it to indoor nationals, but we'll see. Maybe even Penn Relays. Don't plan to run the outdoor season as I turn 64.

      Delete
  4. Back in the day (I mean "way back") the 600 yards was one of my favorite indoor races. Even though it was 10 times the length of the 60 it was suitable for a great variety of runners.

    PLT
    Fairfax. Virginia




    f

    Fairfax, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of retro, in high school did you run 600 yards as part of the presidential physical fitness tests?

      Delete
    2. I remember the 600 yd run. It's about 548m. Seeing as I had a PR training best of 73.2 in the 500m at age 57, seems like I should have been able to run at least 1:19 as a teen for 600 yds, probably faster... but who knows, I never had much endurance in those days.

      Delete
    3. No, I do recall the presidential physical fitness tests, but I never did any of them. Regardless, I was in decent shape, with times of 11.4 (100 yards), 56.0 (440), 2:13.1 (880), and 5:05.8 (1 mile) as reported before. All were on my home track, which was not fast at all. I never won a race.

      PT
      As an addendum. I do remember the 600 as a major component of the indoor schedule for elite competitors.

      Delete
    4. I ran a 1:21 as an untrained senior with a 57 second 440 split so for sure you would have run faster than a 1:19. That is if you were willing and motivated. Nick Bryant was a great rabbit and having the girls gym class watching motivation. I was literally unable to function for 45 minutes afterwards.

      Delete