Monday, July 4, 2022

A little running. First of 3 rounds tomorrow

Went to the Ratina stadium at about 7 this evening.  Did my warmup and easy running.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 2 x 100m on grass

2 x 100m on the turn - 15.3, 14.5

Nike spikes on

2 starts from blocks

I wanted to do more but felt some minor soreness, a reminder that the injury is still there.  

There will be three rounds.  I have heat 4 lane 5 tomorrow.  I have a decent heat with probably only one or 2 guys capable of running under a minute.  It's top 2 finishers and next 6 on time.  The fastest guy is Sunji from Japan who made the 200m final but finished last, he's to my inside in lane 4.  I beat him in Spain in the prelims of the 400m but in the semis, he advanced to the final and I didn't.  So, something about 60-61 sec tomorrow would be fine and likely win the heat barring no surprises.  

It was so cool to be at this wonderful stadium tonight, just a few athletes working out on this magnificent track.  Wide open, no one even checking credentials.  (It's funny when I think of the contrast, being bitched at for training on St. Andrews Sewanee track in Nov. '20 when the campus was closed).  Here, there is no crime, no security, people are cool, well educated, mostly bilingual. Weather was wonderful, low 70ºs, sunny.  I saw and chatted with Brian H., gold medalist in the M60 long jump (He jumped about 17'7").  He'll be high jumping tomorrow.  I saw athletes from everywhere there, Italy, Jamaica, Estonia,  etc... 

Weather for race time tomorrow: fair, windy, 70º.



 











After getting back, I had dinner in my room of bread, canned fish, and peanut butter / preserves, then took a nap.  Got up about 10 pm and took a walk down by the water until about 11:30pm.  The sun had just set and people were still swimming.  

I'll be happy to represent the USA tomorrow but I'm glad I'm here and not there.  I feel more and more that way the more I travel, although I do love my place in Sewanee.  

11:30 pm Pyynikki beach and nature preserve, just outside my hotel.




1 comment: