Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Biking

Climbed Roark's Cove Rd today on the bike and made a plan to bike the big climb at Raccoon Mtn on Sat with the usual suspects from Chattanooga.   I also did a one set weight workout at the rec center afterward.    I was happy to see, despite the large meals I ate in Atlanta, I didn't gain weight, was 144.4 after workout tonight.  I was going to wait til Sunday to hit the track again but may wait til Monday, or if I'm feelin' it, may try Friday.  I think it's good to have a day off of any leg related exercise the day before a track workout.  I don't know, will just have see how it feels on Sunday.

It's so early in the game and I have mixed feelings about track training.  On one hand, I miss it and want to get feeling 'normal' again and training as usual.   It takes a while to readjust to running and may even help the healing.  Or it could endanger the future training if I go too soon.   My competitive M60 window extends from July, '20 Nat'ls and Worlds, the following indoor season '21 Nationals at the Armory and World's in Edmonton.  Edmonton Indoor Worlds is the latest ever - April 6-12, '21.

So, from July '20 to April '21... that's a long 'season' and that's the window I'm shooting for.  I've always run well indoor and I really would like to peak at that Edmonton meet.  I have this 'pipe dream' that I can once again break 56 in the 400m indoor, but that's unlikely.  I've done it only 5 times (2x in Albuquerque, 2x in Birmingham, and in Korea).   If so, I'd be in M60 world record territory.  My 55.17 in Korea was probably an anomaly.  I did run 55.22 in '16.  The M60 indoor WR is 55.62 for the 400m.  But, that's the thing about track, anomalous performances count.  If I think I'm in anywhere near that shape, I'll travel to the fastest tracks and go for it.

A distance runner I met on line told me he never was able to get back to the elite level he was at before he had this same knee surgery.  However, he didn't have Dr. LaPrade and I think he started running too much too soon.  He's only in his 40's.  I think I'll send him an email and see what I can learn from his experiences.

I still have no idea whether my body will tolerate training for the long haul.  I should have a better idea in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment