Monday, December 11, 2017

Speed in spikes

Warmest day in a while in Sewanee, mid 50s and light winds, sunny.  Today was the first time I put the spikes on in 4 months.  I felt the need to test myself, as the feet were feeling ok.
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 60m accelerations 
Puma spikes on 
2 x 60m  
400m - 57.8 (27.3 / 30.5)   
300m - 42.3 
resistance bands - ham / hip flexor
I was nervous before the 400m event run.  I walked around a lot, thinking, doing drills.  I set a goal of 58 (27/31) and beat it by half a step.  I was not sick-exhausted afterward and felt OK.  I rested and ran another fast 300 in spikes, fell short of my goal of 41.  (I had run a 300m faster than this in training shoes).  Wanted to do more but running in spikes is hard on the feet and I didn't want to push it now that I'm on the track every other day.  I finished with some  resistance band exercises - eccentric ham and hip flexor.

Considering I'm 3 months away from Nationals, and weigh almost 147, I'm pretty happy that I can still run fast.  'Running my age' (just barely) today was encouraging.  I have to make a decision on Millrose soon and I'm leaning toward it.  I think I need to work on my short game a bit more so will do some block work this month, probably indoors.  I need more speed reserve and better form, I was far from hitting my 200m in an optimum 26.



No comments:

Post a Comment