Sunday, September 3, 2023

Hike

 Roya and I hiked a bit on Saturday, and climbed the staircase to the tower in Sewanee.  It's wasn't a long hike, about 5 miles but a lot of rugged terrain and up and down.   Hopefully will go to the gym later today and do some rowing and lifting.  Still doing my 20 pullups / day.  

When living alone it's much easier to keep a training regime and schedule my eating around training.  With Roya here, I'm sort of compelled to eat on a schedule, and sometimes when I would likely not eat at all, just have a light snack, I hear...  "Aren't we going to eat dinner?"  ... etc.  So, ritual eating.  Still staying under 145 lbs.

Now three weeks since I've run.  Thinking I may try some turf running soon.   


On today's M60 4x800 WR attempt:

In the middle of last week, Pete had messaged me about joining his M60 4x8 team for the WR attempt this weekend, just days before the event.  I was pretty incredulous... this was the 3rd time he asked me to do this, only to replace me with someone he thought better.  I didn't respond.  Then he messaged back again and said not to worry, they had found someone.  I wasn't considering it, I'd shut it down for the season.   

Sadly, Pete's assembled 4x8 team missed the new Canadian WR by just 1.04 seconds.  They ran 9:17.94, record is 9:16.90.  At least they got easily got the American Record.   

According to the result splits, they ran their asses off.  Pete ran a stunning 2:14.7 split.  Roger and David ran 2:18 and 2:19 splits.   Vadim, the guy they asked to do it instead of me, was the weak link.  He ran 2:24.81, apparently had a back issue.  A 2:23.77 on that leg would have earned the WR.   At the risk of being presumptuous, with 3 weeks of training, I think I could've done that.  I've never raced an 800m slower than 2:22.02.   

If I had gotten the call to attempt that 4x800 relay, I would have had to compromise my vacation, not do all that great hiking and eating.  Wouldn't have been worth it, I had a great time in Canada...  worked out for the best for me!  


1 comment:

  1. Couples meal training https://www.fcs.uga.edu/docs/01_CFS-T6.pdf

    ReplyDelete