Saturday, September 30, 2023

Blood work


The health screening requirements for the $250 insurance reward is not at all a high bar.  You have to get just 3 of these:

Insurance requirement for rebate:
Triglycerides < 150 mg/dL 
HDL Men > = 40 mg/dL 
Blood glucose < 100 mg/dL 
Blood pressure < 130/85 mmHg 
BMI < 30 

I got it.  My most recent readings:

My values: 
Glucose:  71
HDL: 48 (total cholesterol 197)
Triglycerides - 127

My BMI and blood pressure will complete the 5 for 5 sweep.  As I said, not a high bar.  My LDL is still chronically near borderline high at 126, giving me a 4.1 ratio, 3.5 is optimal.  

And three curious out-of-range readings:
MCH and MCHC:  32.1pg and 35.4 g/dl
Both relate to red blood cells.  MCH levels over 31 are considered high but not critical.  My platelet count is normal.  MCHC normal range is listed as 32-36, so I'm not really that high.  


The other was EO% - low.
EO% 0.9%
This is a type of white blood cell.  A low count is far better than a high count.  It could indicate a level of stress or higher cortisol level at the moment.  Not far from the normal range.  Still waiting for my testosterone readings.  

I'll have to ask the Dr. what he thinks about these readings.  Problem is, he'll say 'oh you're doing just fine' because everyone else, probably 90%+ of men he sees my age are overweight or obese.  I'll have to ask my other physician friends what they think.  

141.0 lbs today.  Pretty good.  

What is weird is that the "health coach" that my Wellness program provides is an obese female nurse.

5 comments:

  1. 71 fasting glucose is impressive, even if the fast exceeded what is prescribed. Suggests very good glycemic status. A1c is still king and should get a baseline although your Doctor might not agree. How long did you fast and what time of day was the draw? It looks like you got the big three for longevity (aerobic capacity, strength, glucose status) as well as absence of disease history. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it about Dr’s feedback. I did a 10 week intervention of 85% calories from fat (mainly nuts, avocados, seeds, cheedar cheese, some eggs) eating only 2x daily (6am and 6pm, water or unsweetened coffee or tea outside of that) and changed my training from nearly all high intensity to nearly all zone 2 to avoid gluconeogenesis. A1c was significantly lower but LDL went up from 90 to 113, total from 167 to 195, and AST went up from 21 to 37. The AST suggested I was depositing some fat in my liver. His remarks were they looked fine but there was a clear shift but since they were still better than almost all his patients he didn’t see an issue. I returned to a mixed diet and AST dropped to baseline one month later (at my yearly urology follow up). 85% calories from fat isn’t sustainable anyway. Too many healthy foods have to be cut out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did get one major benefit from that intervention- 6 to 8 hrs a week of zone 2 training resulted in much better fat utilization during exercise probably from mitochondria development. So now if I have a can of sardines 30 minutes to an hour before hard interval training my blood glucose doesn’t rise nearly as fast or go as high. Like it would hit 185 to 205 before intervention now I’m seeing 150 ish. So that means I’m utilizing some fats as energy and it is not all carbohydrate utilization.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bempedoic acid is an option to lower ldl. Low to no risk to muscle or liver injury. Also statin use has an association with newly diagnosed diabetes - 8 percent rate. Bempedoic acid doesn’t seem to have that affect.

    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2215024

    ReplyDelete