Saturday, May 28, 2022

rust buster

 First race of the year, went about as expected.  Not what I was hoping for, but not a complete collapse either.  Only a 58.97, which would presently rank #4 in world.  

I knew I didn't have the last 50m yet and it showed.  Looking at the race clock coming down the stretch, seemed like I was at 49.5 with just 50m to go, which means I rigged in the last 40m or so and it must have taken me 9 sec to run that last 50m.  Nothing feels more helpless as you look at the race clock at just 25m out and it says 52 sec and you think you're going to get a good time, but then the refrigerator suddenly comes down on your back and you can't move.   

On the positive side, I didn't get hurt, I'm at race weight, and it was exactly one year ago at the Atlanta Relays that I ran 59.47, despite being in probably better shape that I am now.  So, things could have been much worse.  

I would estimate my splits at somewhere around 42/17 for the 300/ last 100.  Might have even been like 41.7, 17.2.   I'm definitely a work in progress.   I don't think my brain was into this race, sort of on auto pilot.  Not as relaxed in the second 200m as I should have been.  

I was happy Dave was there, we were the only 2 masters and he ran better than his age.  He turns 71 this year and ran 69.

As I type this, I'm watching the Prefontaine Classic on NBC from the grandiose and legendary Hayward Field... thinking about myself racing an 800m on this track in just 4 weeks.   

The gauntlet is before me.  The task at hand.  4 meaningful weeks of training before I leave for Finland.  I've lost the fat, I survived the first race, my injury is not getting worse ... so now it's time to see what level of performance I can drag out of this nearly 62 yr old body.  Over distance on Sunday, intensive tempo on Tues, speed on Thurs.  In between, swimming and strength.  

Today, I raced at about 139 lbs.  



1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the race, no injuries. Good time, 4th in the world! I am getting nervous about next Saturday at Rice.

    ReplyDelete