Thursday, May 5, 2022

600, split 400. deadline looms

Warm and humid with a rain shower at the Sewanee track.  Got up to near 80º today before the rain shower.  Light - moderate S wind.  

I was surprisingly a bit sore in the quads after Tuesday's short sprints.  It reminds me that fast running is quite different from slow running.  i.e. 13 sec 100s vs. 15-17 sec 100s.    I did a hard 600m today and felt I needed to do something faster.  So, I did a split 400m.  The workout kicked my ass.  Not getting any easier, but hopefully faster.

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, 2 x 100

600m - 1:45.10

'split 400' - 300m - 43.85 / 60 sec rest / 100m - 15.1

I think I'm in about '59 shape' right now.  I'd sure like to break 59 my first time out, but we'll see.  Really would like to get the spikes on, but need to be patient.   

I was hoping to get 1:44 for the 600 and fell short today.  Felt really hard today.  The split 400 wasted me.  The good thing is that the injury was not a factor, feels better.  Learned my lesson about not doing 2 days in a row on the track.  

Next workout will be Saturday, will try and hammer out 4x300 intensive tempo.  It will be unseasonably cool at 55º then, so that's good.  Rest of the week looks very warm, 80-85º.  Need to do an event run and some speed next week.

Weight is coming off.  140.9 lbs after workout.  

Finland Deadline 

The USATF has informed that we have to show our travel plans to them by May 19 in order to obtain the Olympic competition uniform.  I wanted to get one race in before I bought my ticket.  I could race as early as weekend of May 21 in ATL.  I'm leaning toward going to Finland since I can fly directly into Tampere and rent a car.  I've booked my hotel and car, both 100% refundable.  Still not feeling super confident yet but, maybe after I get some speed in.  I'm only in my 3rd week of full scale training after taking 2 months off from track so I need to be realistic.  It's going to take more time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment