Monday, July 19, 2021

Feelin' good...

Light workout today .. for me.  Nothing fast, thinking about form, relaxation.  Quite cool in Sewanee, a mostly cloudy day with showers, it was 72º for my late afternoon workout.  

Hoka trainers on

stretches, drills, bands, 2 x 100m

2 x 200m - 28.57, 27.87

2 x 150m - 21.97, 19.97

100m -  13.65

Yesterday, I did a long leisurely bike ride but not much else except for some pullups and upper body.  On days where I don't run, I feel like I'm a slug.  Today, my sprints got faster with less effort after each one and I left feeling really good and strong.  

I'm lean and ready.  138.3 lbs after workout


The USATF Wristband Fiasco at Nationals

Finally, the USATF caved to the anti-vaxers who were uncomfortable about wearing wristbands that identified them as 'unvaccinated.'   So, they are requiring either proof of vaccination or proof of negative test, NO wristbands.  That's fine.   2 highly regarded staff photographers backed out for fear of being sued by anti-vaxers wearing their red identifying wristbands.  Now that they've done away with wristbands, one of the best masters track photographers, Rob has reversed course, he's coming.  

Nationals Decisions

Two major decisions.  First involves my first race, the 400m prelims.  Do I go with fresh legs and try to get a new world lead time, or do I take it easy and just get the fastest qualifying time?  Stephen says it would be 'idiotic' to go all out in the first round.... however, Alan is telling me 'go for it' because I can likely win the finals with my C-game.  I don't know about that...  but Charles Allie broke the WR in his prelim in Malaga.  None of his other rounds were as fast, but he won easily.  But, I'm no Charles Allie.   I don't think running a 57 is going to be that much more stress than running a 58 high.  I will for absolute certainty, run the first 200m very conservatively in the prelim.  

Second, the 100m.  Running the 100m prelim 3+ hours after the 400m final on Friday, is something I may likely do.  I have not run a 100m this year and frankly, I'd like to let 'er rip.  If it looks like I may be competitive, then maybe... I'd consider the final.  I haven't had a significant injury all season, so I think the risk is low, but... there's always risk in the 100m.  But, don't know if I don't try.  Since this goes down after my main event, the 400m, I'm risking the possibility of injury which would negate medalling or even winning in my more competitive events,  the 200m, and 800m,   But... wouldn't it be great to medal in 4 events?  I don't think anyone has ever won all 4 events in a Championship.

One main factor is the weather.  Just so happens the temperature by race time on Friday 12:45 for the 400m will be about 95º.  It's supposed to be 99º by the 100m prelims 3 hrs later.  

Then there's the problem of Saturday.  If I run the 100m Final, it's at 11:15 am, forecast temperature is 91º.  I'd have to be there an hour ahead to checkin and warmup, which takes energy.  I'd have 90m rest before I'd have to go out and get ready for the 800m final at 1:13pm in a temperature of  95º.   Then, after a super exhausting 800m final, I'd have to be back out on the track a 3rd time 90m later to warmup for the 200m prelim at 3:15 pm in 97º heat.  SO... there is no doubt I wouldn't be as fresh for the 800m final if I spent 45 min in the 91º heat warming up and racing the 100m final ... 90 min before having to go out again.    I say 90 min allowing for a 30 min warmup including the walk from the parking lot, but after running the 100m, I won't need but just a few min warmup for an 800m, so I can rest at least 90m, maybe a tad longer.    Still, it will be an energy sap in that heat to be out there for the 100m, which requires at least 30m warmup.  But... that's why I train.  

I'm finally going to get some use out of my ice vest, a cooling device I wear, along with my sheik cap that absorbs ice water and covers my neck.  I just hope I can park close to the start line.  Walking 15-20 min in that heat before a race can be a factor.  

Anyway, I'm healthy, ready, stoked, and 'the hay is in barn.'  



No comments:

Post a Comment